Menu

feeding other kids

What do you do when giving your child a snack with other kids around?  

1. 1. What do you do when giving your child a snack with other kids around?

• give them food without asking parent first
    • make them ask parent before giving food to child
    • other

I was always too cheap to buy those convenient foods and I never brought food to the park (I grew up with the rule, you don't eat unless you have enough to share). I have to say, although I never would have thought of telling a child to ask first, I think that's a totally honorable thing to do. Food allergies wouldn't cross my mind unless I heard of something like this.

Another wrinkle to add is that some kids do not have allergies but have other medical issues. For instance, I have to keep track of fat grams for my 6 year old. I've had people offer him food because they were eating on the same bench with us at parks and then press the issue when I've intervened and said no. They want to reassure me that they have plenty or that what they are offering is healthy. All the while my son sits there feeling awkward.

It's very frustrating!

Another wrinkle to add is that some kids do not have allergies but have other medical issues. For instance, I have to keep track of fat grams for my 6 year old. I've had people offer him food because they were eating on the same bench with us at parks and then press the issue when I've intervened and said no. They want to reassure me that they have plenty or that what they are offering is healthy. All the while my son sits there feeling awkward.

It's very frustrating!

Good point. I have a friend whose son has juv. Diabetes, and she has to monitor all his food intake..

I guess I should have made it clearer. Sorry.

Yes, these are random kids at the park. No clue who they are.

Last year the one looked to be about 3 and his parents were as far away from the playground area as they could be. I guess they didn't want to be bothered by the kids. We always find a picnic table closer to the playground because I like to keep an eye on my kids with so many strangers around. I tend to watch the kids that are unsupervised as well because the playground is next to the pool area. This 3 year old just came and sat down with us and looked at us expectantly.

My kids know not to take food from others and to not even ask especially strangers. It did seem really odd that these kids would just ask for food. People here tend to be odd though.

I usually bring a little extra in case we decide to stay longer. Food is expensive and I don't like just handing it out, but if a child is hungry I do feel bad for them and don't mind sharing if the parents permit it.

However, last year after one incident I did get very stingy. It was another family that didn't care to watch their own kids. They had gotten there when we did and the kids were all playing together. We sat down to eat our lunch and the kids (about 4 & 7) went to their parents and asked if they could eat. The mom said no that they didn't bring them anything. The kids came over to our picnic table and sat there staring at us eating. The parents said nothing. I did have extra so I had DH go over and ask the parents if it would be okay to offer their kids some if they were really hungry. The parents said it was okay and also added that the kids had not ate since 7am. It was now 1pm. They had forgotten to bring the kids food. So we fed them. About an hour later this family gets out a grill and proceeds to grill steaks. DH and I were like :001_huh: They cooked a steak for each of them and had chips and some other stuff. Their kids left the playground and asked them if they could have some. The parents said, "You don't like this." and "You already ate."

On the way home I told DH we should have went over to their table and sat there watching them eat.

The neighbor kids I don't mind so much unless they haven't been playing with my kids and only run over when I bring a snack out to mine.

:001_huh: Seriously? That is so strange.

....People here tend to be odd though.

....They had forgotten to bring the kids food. So we fed them. About an hour later this family gets out a grill and proceeds to grill steaks. DH and I were like :001_huh: They cooked a steak for each of them and had chips and some other stuff.....

:svengo: STEAKS? They remember to bring steaks AND A GRILL but somehow couldn't remember to bring food for their kids? How do you pack a grill and steaks and not have the thought enter your mind that your kids migth want to eat- if they don't like steak, at least toss in a poptart or something. You can eat those raw, I think. My barbarian husband does.;) I would have wanted to take the steak off the grill and eat it myself, thanking them for making it for me to repay my kindness in feeding their children. :glare:

Maybe I'm completely weird (rather than just mostly) but the idea of feeding strange kids is totally out of my experience.

Honestly, I just don't see feeding strange kids. ....

The only "strange kids" I feed are my own. :rofl:

(sorry, couldn't resist)