Menu

Chicken people: Hens eating eggs?

Are we in trouble? The minute one is left in the nest box, they are all over it. We could get the eggs if we posted a guard during all the daylight hours, but that's not happening. Are we out of luck with this dumb bunch of hens? Is there something dietary they are missing? I'm not going to pay to feed them if they're not giving something back! (Good thing I'm not so heartless with my children!)

There are a few things to do.

A, if they aren't free-ranged, get a cheap bag of oyster shell and make sure they have access to that in with their feed. One bag will last a LONG time.

B. Make sure they always ALWAYS have water.

C. Make the nesting boxes darker. Change the opening so it's pretty dark in there. I have broken egg eaters just with this.

D. Throw some golf balls in and check for real eggs every single chance you get. Bring the "pecking at rock hard non edible things to pecking and getting yummy egg" ratio down as low as you can.

Definitely make sure they are getting enough calcium/oyster shell and water. We have had this happen periodically. If the timing works, we squirt some yellow mustard into the broken egg and leave it there for a few hours.