Menu

Miss Pickerell?

4Kiddos

I am sorry. I should have been more clear. I am taking about the Miss Pickerell book series- Miss Pickerell and the Geiger Counter, Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars, etc.

Oh, ok. I thought is was some kind of program. :001_smile: I never heard of the books. I'll have to see what they are like. Sorry I wasn't any help to you...hopefully someone else will respond.

I loved them as a child.. My dd8 loves them too. We own several and have gotten the rest from the library. Good stories and kind of teach some science. I say kind of because they were written some years ago and whatever science-y thing they are talking about may have improved a long way since then.. but a lot will still be true.

I can't remember specific examples right now though. I would recommend them despite this as it is (IMHO) a minor issue.

I remember Miss Pickerell fondly! These now out-of-print (OOP) books were silly "tall tales" in my childhood. I shared a few with DSs as read alouds when they were quite young.

Another series that is SO charming, that is wonderfully written with great vocabulary and well-drawn characters (not to mention sweet illustrations!) is the (also OOP) Miss Bianca series by Margery Sharp -- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient.

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oooh I loved these as a kid. They are on my used book sale/flea market list along with Nancy Drew, Mrs Piggle-Wiggle, Amelia Bedelia, Trixie Belden, Encyclopedia Brown, and Little House Books all childhood favorites of mine. DDs aren't quite at that reading level yet but I've been bargain shopping and stashing :)