Menu

Right Start D

We loved A and B, liked C very well, but when we got to division in D, things just seemed to fall apart. My formerly math-loving child was literally in tears every day. That's why we switched.

Looking back, I think that what would have been best is if I had skipped the division lessons in RightStart and used another program to introduce and practice that concept, but then stuck with RightStart overall. We have not since found a program that we like as much as RightStart, and I've heard that their middle school math, particularly the geometry book, is really good. So I'd say just be prepared to do some "outside" work when you get to division, but otherwise, it's a great program.

We're in Level D, have completed through Lesson 119 thus far, and still continue to love RightStart. I've read that some don't care for the way RS D covers division, or more specifically long division. It does seem that this level really only covers short division, but I don't see that as a problem per se. I suppose another resource could be used to take it to the next level, if one so chose to. I do have Math Mammoth (Light Blue series) to refer to (mainly for review), just in case.

FWIW, I have already have RS E waiting on the shelf for us. Following that, I plan to use RS Geometry (2 yrs) along with VT Algebra or AoPS.

We are almost done with C(12 lessons to go), we started September 1st or so, 35 weeks total.

B on the other hand could have easily been 18mo-2yr. We finished in 10 months w/ a 1 month break iirc. We pushed it and worked hard though.

We are planning on doing D here next year as I've already bought it. RS still works really well for us. I did slow down some last year and we've sped up some this year ie I don't make him do all the practice problems if he gets the concept right off, rich generally speaking he does. If it is a more difficult concept for him I might make him do extra practice though. Actually, often we will do math 3 days a week and do double lessons on days.

Edited by soror

Possible hijack, but...

Just out of curiousity how long did it take to move through level C? I was told by a person at a convention that we should anticipate it taking about 2 years. Does this seem correct?

We only did 4 lessons per week, so it took us just under 40 weeks to complete.

We've done 3-6 lessons a week here on Level C. In the beginning when there was a lot of review we did about 6 or so for the first month or so then we went to 4 lessons a week and then here at the end we've had about another month or so of about 5-6 lessons a week. I wanted to be done a week early though, so with our current pace we will actually finish in about 34 wks. We did 5 lessons last week in 3 days and next week it will be 5 lessons and then 4 lessons each the last 2 weeks. C has 150 lessons but not near as many multiple day lessons, although we generally do those in 1 day- although we have been known to do 1.5 hrs sometimes and generally average about 1 hr. I have to cut him off any time we play games as he never wants to stop.

Edited by soror

We are almost done with C(12 lessons to go), we started September 1st or so, 35 weeks total.

B on the other hand could have easily been 18mo-2yr.

LOL! We were the opposite. :D I felt like B was easy to finish in a school year, and C is the one that is hard to fit in. We DID finish C, but we had to keep working on it for a couple weeks into the summer after we'd finished everything else. We almost bailed after level C, b/c (for my oldest) the drawing was SO HARD. I had to really help him with it, and he'd get so frustrated. My younger ds has been doing C this year and loves it and flies through it with little to no help from me. But we will still have to keep working for a couple extra weeks to finish it.

BUT levels D and E have been my favorites. LOVE the way RS teaches fractions.

LOL! We were the opposite. :D I felt like B was easy to finish in a school year, and C is the one that is hard to fit in. We DID finish C, but we had to keep working on it for a couple weeks into the summer after we'd finished everything else. We almost bailed after level C, b/c (for my oldest) the drawing was SO HARD. I had to really help him with it, and he'd get so frustrated. My younger ds has been doing C this year and loves it and flies through it with little to no help from me. But we will still have to keep working for a couple extra weeks to finish it.

BUT levels D and E have been my favorites. LOVE the way RS teaches fractions.

Ds loved the drawing and was dissapointed it was such a short section!