Menu

Quick help - any way to save this pot of beans?

I'm making baked beans for a birthday celebration tonight. Soaked them overnight, put them in the slow cooker, on high, at 10:00 a.m. At 2:00, they didn't seem to be cooking, so I transfered them to a 325 degree oven. After 3 hours - they are still hardish and mostly white. They have barely soaked up the brown sugar, molasses goodness.

I need to serve in 1 hour - can these be sped up or saved?

Edited by bookfiend

I'm no help...I had this happen to me. (By any chance, did you "reuse" the soaking water? My sister-in-law told me this will make the beans hard.)

I would try putting all the goodies into a pan/dutch oven and cooking them on the stove top.

I'm no help...I had this happen to me. (By any chance, did you "reuse" the soaking water? My sister-in-law told me this will make the beans hard.)

I would try putting all the goodies into a pan/dutch oven and cooking them on the stove top.

No, but I didn't completely, 100% drain and re-rinse them. Arrgh. I think I may try some small batches in the microwave. Meanwhile turning the oven up to 450.