Menu

LOE...who has this?

JFJ in IL

Hi all. I noticed a few different threads mentioning LOE and I became interested in the program :001_smile: I also noticed many people comment that they were waiting to see the program and materials at the convention. So...if you went to the/a convention and browsed through LOE what did you think? I was thinking I might use this for my 6yo kindy daughter and my 7yo second grade son...Thanks for your help!

I don't have the program, but I do have the book, Uncovering the Logic of English which I am currently reading.

It is inexpensive, available at Amazon, and worth the money as a resource even if you do not end up using the program.

I am impressed with it so far.

I have the TM, workbook, phonics games, and three decks of cards for games (no phonogram cards, as I already had a SWR set, and just made ones for the extra phonograms LOE uses out of index cards).

I'm using it now only for phonogram games with my K4, which works well and she enjoys. I will start doing 1 lesson per 2-week period (as recommended by Eide), interspersed with OPGTR in the fall.

Did you have specific questions you want addressed?

(In case you want to know where I am coming from: I chose to buy LOE after leaning heavily toward PR, because I liked the simplicity and flexibility of the program. I'm a first-time homeschooler with a soon-to-be newborn, 2yo, and another little boy I watch, so scripted and efficient is good for me. I like the idea of being able to cycle through the lessons for several years, while integrating other LA materials like FLL, and then transitioning to Latin Road or similar. PR was tempting, but I wanted a little more flexibility in LA because I plan to use CHOLL for literature in first grade.)

Hmm...well, I am hoping to have one program for reading.

My daughter will need to start from the beginning but I will still need something that I can use with my son, too.

Right now my son is reading at an average first grade level but he did have go into a reading recovery program to get there.

I had planned on going with OPGTR but LOE sounded like it might have a little more explanation & content for all ages and stages.

I had also planned on using FLL & WWE for my son but I am unsure how that would fit in with LOE.

This will be my first year homeschooling and the curriculum choices have been a bit overwhelming!

Going to watch those video's now :001_smile:

Thanks for the help!

Like Jean said, I guess it really just depends on your dc. Since you have younger children you may decide to skip the grammar portion of LOE and just do FLL. I think LOE and WWE would be fine together though. You could always skip the dictation in one or the other if it were too much.

You can also set your own pace with LOE. You don't have to move through it quickly. My ds will be in 3rd next year, but I am still planning on taking 2 years to go through the book.

Does your 6yo know all of the single letter phonograms, even those that have multiple sounds? (ex: s says /s/ & /z/) If not, you will need to cover these before starting LOE. It also does not teach handwriting, just practice it. So if that is something that you still need to do you could teach the handwriting at the same time as the phonograms.

Do you think I can drop Explode the Code if we do LOE? I really want to streamline and not overload my children. However, I do think they have learned a lot from ETC.

I would not use ETC with LOE. I think it would be too much.

I was just able to watch one of the very long video's and I must say I am impressed and I will definitely be picking up the book soon! Headed to the website now in an attempt to locate chapter samples, etc...so I can decided if I will be using FLL in addition to this program. As far as my daughter goes, she has learned *some* of the simple sounds but not all. Do you recommend starting her with OPGTR instead?

I was just able to watch one of the very long video's and I must say I am impressed and I will definitely be picking up the book soon! Headed to the website now in an attempt to locate chapter samples, etc...so I can decided if I will be using FLL in addition to this program. As far as my daughter goes, she has learned *some* of the simple sounds but not all. Do you recommend starting her with OPGTR instead?

I would just start her with the LOE phonogram cards to cement the phonogram sounds of the single letters A-Z. You can even do this using some of the games in the game book.

As far as my daughter goes, she has learned *some* of the simple sounds but not all. Do you recommend starting her with OPGTR instead?

I am not a LOE user, but I understand that it is similar to SWR, which we use. If that is true, I would not mix the two programs, because they would be contradictory and therefore confusing. Learning the phonograms is just part of the program.