Menu

how do I get a pdf book on kindle?

I'm so glad you asked this . . I'm trying to do the same thing and am fighting with calibre to try to get it done but it is going very slowly and the pdf has shown up on my kindle 3 times so far but can't be opened.

Hopefully someone will help us soon.

I convert the pdf in software like Calibre so that it is readable. You can put pdfs on the Kindle; the print is usually too small.

I then connect the Kindle with a USB drive and put the file from the directory to my Kindle.

I'm so glad you asked this . . I'm trying to do the same thing and am fighting with calibre to try to get it done but it is going very slowly and the pdf has shown up on my kindle 3 times so far but can't be opened.

Hopefully someone will help us soon.

Did you convert the file to a MOBI file?

Did you convert the file to a MOBI file?

When I clicked on the book to convert it said "job 1" in the bottom right-hand corner but stayed at 1% for 25+ minutes so I finally cancelled it. Can a file be too big? This book is 78,591 KB so I was wondering if that was too big to convert? Or maybe there is just something too slow and old with my computer?

When I clicked on the book to convert it said "job 1" in the bottom right-hand corner but stayed at 1% for 25+ minutes so I finally cancelled it. Can a file be too big? This book is 78,591 KB so I was wondering if that was too big to convert? Or maybe there is just something too slow and old with my computer?

I have that happen sometimes. I quite the whole software and restart Calibre and try again.

Have you updated to the latest version?

Your book shouldn't be too big. If it is at 1% for 25 minutes, then the conversion process is stuck somewhere.

I just opened the pdf file again (on my computer) and realized there are a ton of pictures interspersed with the text . . . could that be the problem? Off to try again and make sure I have the most updated version. Thanks for your help.

These directions are much more complicated than necessary! You don't need Calibre. I just attach the PDF I want converted to an email addressed to my free Kindle email address [yourusername@free.kindle.com] and put Convert in the subject line. I do it this way all the time, and it takes less than a minute.

ETA: See this page if those directions don't make sense. You do have to add your email address to Your Kindle Approved E-mail List before you can send PDFs to your Kindle wirelessly.

Edited by WordGirl

These directions are much more complicated than necessary! You don't need Calibre. I just attach the PDF I want converted to an email addressed to my free Kindle email address [yourusername@free.kindle.com] and put Convert in the subject line. I do it this way all the time, and it takes less than a minute.

ETA: See this page if those directions don't make sense. You do have to add your email address to Your Kindle Approved E-mail List before you can send PDFs to your Kindle wirelessly.

:iagree:

I have lost some images (specifically the flowcharts in BFSU) but the convert feature makes it SO much easier.

The problem is the file size limit of a lot of email programs. While Amazon said the pdf can be up to 50 MB, most mail programs do not allow attachments of that size. 10 MB is standard for many email servers. So I convert with Calibre and just load it on my Kindle.

I finally got it to work! I gave up on my antique desktop and pulled my laptop out. I was still having trouble getting stuck at 1% with the conversion feature on Calibre but then I found an option to not download the images that were inside the document and then it was literally converted and on my Kindle in about 10 seconds. Wonderful . . . if I want to see the pics I'll have to read it on my laptop but now I can read the 'meat' on my kindle. There's some weird stuff (characters) at the beginning but the text is fine as soon as Chapter 1 starts.

Thanks for all your help. I tried use the email to Amazon but my email limit was 10 mb and the book was 75 mb so I would have had to break it up into pieces.