Menu

Ugghh The Cat of Bubastes ...

ChrissySC

It ... s*cks eggs. LOL

I had not read that one before. We finally finished it ... weeks after I had it planned to end. I've read two of the later books, and while they were not my favorite, they did not make me miserable.

I'm not sure I like Henty anymore, but then I don't like Dickens either!

I just had to say.:lol: You all can keep that one too.

It ... s*cks eggs. LOL

I had not read that one before. We finally finished it ... weeks after I had it planned to end. I've read two of the later books, and while they were not my favorite, they did not make me miserable.

I'm not sure I like Henty anymore, but then I don't like Dickens either!

I just had to say.:lol: You all can keep that one too.

Yea, I'm not a fan of either of those. Boring!

:lol: That's not one I have read. But I will say I DRAG through Huck Finn. I liked it as a kid, but it's dreadful to read aloud. I was thinking about hiding it (it's torn into three pieces already bc of my toddler!) so we could move onto something else. And I will never read Alice in Wonderland again. I've read it twice, which was two times more than I wish I could have. :glare:

LOL, Dickens is just so ... wordy, and Henty is usually tolerable, but no way.

Maybe I am too old for Henty now?

I agree with Huck Finn - now, I think I might just die with the sterotype and language. But you know, I still love Fredrick Douglas or the Doll Maker for some reason. Both have language that is difficult to read, and I certainly would not read them aloud!

Might I suggest an audio book for Huck Finn? Try and find one with actors for the different voices. These types of retellings are among our favorites.

ETA: Henty is headed straight for the "For Sale" board, LOL.

I thought the Cat of Bubastes was horrible too.

The only books I like of Dickens are Tale of two Cities, Christmas Carol and Nicholas Nickleby. A tale of Two Cities is defiinitely his easiest book to read.

I hate Great Expectations. Hated the plot and everything about it.

Oliver Twist and David Copperfield have potential, if they didn't drag on so.

I loathed Tale of Two Cities with every fiber of my being.

Maybe I just hate the French Revolution.

:tongue_smilie:

Yeah, it is not one of the brighter moments in world history, is it? :glare:

I'm going to preview ToTC again before reading it aloud. I haven't read it since 9th grade . . .

I loathed Tale of Two Cities with every fiber of my being.

Maybe I just hate the French Revolution.

:tongue_smilie:

"Loathe" adequately describes the way that I feel about entire paragraphs that take two pages!

OK, that is a little dramatic, but it felt that way.:lol:

How many words do you need to say "I drove my horse down the road"? Obviously, you need no less than 150. LOL

And Henty, description is great, but please .... where did the story go?

I actually love Dickens. We do have Huck on audio, but the kids wanted *me* to read it to them. We just had finished Tom Sawyer. I just can not bring myself to use the "n word" at all, let alone a million times per page. And the dialect is difficult even for me-with deep south family and an accent of my own. sigh.