Menu

Bone Marrow Donation

Back in 2007, I signed up with the National Bone Marrow Registration during a drive they were holding. Well, yesterday I received an email informing me that I am a potential match for someone considering bone marrow donation as a treatment option. I was asked to call the registry. So, that's what I did this morning. It was just a basic question/answer thing: height, weight, medications etc. and to make sure that I understood the two potential procedures.

It is still early in the process. I may not be a close enough match or a family member could come forward who is closer or they may choose a different treatment. Statistically the odds are low for me to be a close enough match. If I do not receive a call by the end of June, I should assume one of the above and that I am not needed.

So, has anyone ever been all the way through on either side of the process? I am just curious. I'm actually kind of excited that I could potentially be in a position to help this person out. My mother is a little freaked out though. Which is a totally normal state for my mother :lol:. Why do I even tell her these things... Anyway, I am just curious to hear any personal tales whether you gave or received or someone you know...that sort of thing.

I haven't, but I was a match for my brother, which we discovered when he went thru lymphoma 7 years ago. He chose to use his own marrow. I always think back on it and wonder if he would've lived if he had chosen mine.

Bless you for being available and for donating. It's a wonderful thing for you to be willing to do. I really mean that.

I was the bone marrow donor for my son who has (well, hopefully had no more to ever return!!!) acute myeloid leukemia. The BMT was on January 18th. The procedure wasn't bad, and I was pretty stiff and sore for a few days, and much more tired for about 2 weeks. I had two giant bruises on my upper backside where they poked and got the marrow from. The only problem I had that most people don't is that I re-injured a pulled back muscle from years ago in the same muscle as the donation site. That hurt waaaaaayyyy worse than the post surgery pain. They took about a liter of marrow, hence being anemic and tired, but the upside to that is they told me to eat lots of big, juicy hamburgers and steaks for the iron. If you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them. I also signed up on Be the Match last week to add me to the national registry.

I haven't, but I was a match for my brother, which we discovered when he went thru lymphoma 7 years ago. He chose to use his own marrow. I always think back on it and wonder if he would've lived if he had chosen mine.

Bless you for being available and for donating. It's a wonderful thing for you to be willing to do. I really mean that.

Thank you. I am so sorry about your brother. :grouphug:

I would consider it an honor to be able to be in the position to help someone in this way.