Menu

Math help question

YES! Thank you so much! Care to try another one?

If you take 8/5 of a number and decrease that by 50, you get 4/5 of the number. What is the number?

Nevermind, we got!!! Thank you so much for helping with that first one, it really gave us a confidence boost to work on the others!!!!

Edited by mama25angels

Or here's my much longer version of the already-worked problem. Just in case someone likes to see steps. :p (I actually did this on my notepad, just for fun, and before seeing the answer given above.)

2/3 is 20 more 1/4

2/3 = 8/12; 1/4 = 3/12

So, 2/3-1/4 = 5/12

5/12 of the total is 20

5/12x = 20

5x = 20*12 = 240

x = 240/5 = 48

(As you can see, I wasn't even using a calculator.)

To prove it:

2/3 of 48 is 32

1/4 of 48 is 12

2/3 is 20 more than 1/4

Videotext Algebra Module A teaches how to translate English sentences to math sentences in a way that makes sense to me...can't remember all of it but basically you step through the sentence and look for key words.

<< 2/3 of the number is 20 more than 1/4 of the number>>

in this sentence: 'of' means multiplication, 'is' means equals, 'more than' means addition, 'the number' is your unknown (usually X)

so you get

2/3 * X = 1/4 * X + 20

YES! Thank you so much! Care to try another one?

If you take 8/5 of a number and decrease that by 50, you get 4/5 of the number. What is the number?

Nevermind, we got!!! Thank you so much for helping with that first one, it really gave us a confidence boost to work on the others!!!!

You're welcome. It looks like a Sngapore IP problem :D

Or here's my much longer version of the already-worked problem. Just in case someone likes to see steps. :p (I actually did this on my notepad, just for fun, and before seeing the answer given above.)

2/3 is 20 more 1/4

2/3 = 8/12; 1/4 = 3/12

So, 2/3-1/4 = 5/12

5/12 of the total is 20

5/12x = 20

5x = 20*12 = 240

x = 240/5 = 48

(As you can see, I wasn't even using a calculator.)

To prove it:

2/3 of 48 is 32

1/4 of 48 is 12

2/3 is 20 more than 1/4

Yep, that's exactly what I did except I tend not to set problems like that up in algebraic form. It looks like a Singapore IP problem and the kiddo would be expected to solve it without algebra. Same thing but without the x. After 3 years of CWP, my brain is starting to catch on. I'm an algebra/calculus tutor so that's a big thing for me.

Edited by Dinsfamily
Fixing quote

<< 2/3 of the number is 20 more than 1/4 of the number>>

in this sentence: 'of' means multiplication, 'is' means equals, 'more than' means addition, 'the number' is your unknown (usually X)

so you get

2/3 * X = 1/4 * X + 20

This is how I solve these types of problems.