Menu

Meals that can (mostly) be kept in the pantry?

Any suggestions on meals that can be pre-purchased and kept in the pantry? We live a fair distance from a grocery store and it's easier (especially in the winter) to keep extra food in an outdoor pantry rather than make frequent trips to the store.

My two favorite ones are white bean chili (northern beans, chix broth, picante sauce and chicken) and taco soup (different beans, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, ranch dry seasoning and hamburger meat). (Obviously the meat has to be in the freezer, but we deep freeze a lot of meat during the winter).

I'm looking for ideas so I can stock up on any fresh veggies that we grow or get that might help out (tomatoes and corn come to mind). (We'll make one trip to buy bulk goods in a larger city in October).

http://busycooks.about.com/od/wintermenusandrecipes/a/pantrymeals.htm

This article seemed to have some good ideas. When I lived in Germany the winters were snowy and cold. I would stock my pantry in the fall with everything that came in a can. I even purchased cases of shelf stable milk. I always kept plenty of raw ingredients on hand...sugar, flour and such to bake.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

:)