Menu

New AP study group website designed by students for students!

On another thread we were discussing having our AP syllabus approved by the college board, and a thought came to mind.

Last year my daughter and her friends developed a website designed to support other homeschooling teens who were taking AP's or other college level courses.

It is meant to support each other by sharing information (books, videos, etc), asking questions and supporting each other through the process.

I've asked her if they would have a section for Moms so that we could also connect.

Here is the write up that they put together, the website can be found at the end of the write up -- Hope many of the AP teens will join!

Announcing STUDI (Students Throughly Understanding Difficult Ideas), a new, online resource designed for homeschoolers by homeschoolers. We created STUDI when, as homeschoolers, we realized we lacked a network to reach out and provide each other with support and a method to share our ideas, knowledge, and resources when taking advanced and AP® courses.

Advanced tests are important to homeschoolers. A good score on a SAT II or AP® exam, for example, validates academic performance in the eyes of a college admissions officer. It’s very useful to prepare thoroughly for them, but this is easier said than done. If you can’t find good study materials, or have questions that nobody you know can answer, studying becomes a miserable chore.

Thus, STUDI was born, providing homeschoolers with the ability to network together and create a worldwide community.

STUDI provides:

Lists of user-rated educational materials, including:

Textbooks, online and hard copy

Videos, online or DVD

Courses, online and correspondence

Support Forums, where students can both ask questions and answer them

Soon to come weekly tips!

A thriving community to participate in the forums

Take a look at STUDI (https://sites.google.com/site/apstudi/home) today to see what you can discover! Whether you are taking an online AP® course, or self studying, STUDI can be a network filled with resources and a community of support for you.

What a great site!!!! Thanks!

So glad you think so too! They worked hard on it last summer and spent a whole year testing it to make sure they have all the bugs out.

When I saw that there were three of us interested in doing Comp Sci next year I thought it would be great if they could create a section for Mom's. I know I would love to chat with others who are teaching the same thing - we can use all the encouragement we can get!

Hoping you'll sign up!

Deb

Just wanted to update this post to let everyone know that the STUDI group just added a Mom's group so that we can discuss AP's more specifically.

They also just added a Creative Writing Group!

I posted an introduction on the Mom's Group -- hope you all join!

I'm really excited as I think there are three of us possibly doing AP Comp Sci next year. I would really like to have a support group to go to.

We are also doing the following AP's next year:

AP Comp Sci

AP Physics C

AP French

AP Calc bc

Stop by and look at the site!

Thanks.

Deb

Another question...will the students be able to set up self study groups? We aren't taking any classes, just registering the syllabus with the Ap board and then studying the material.

YES! That is exactly what this group is for. We mostly do our AP's on our own as do many of her friends.... they wanted support and they wanted to support others doing the same.

Deb

HI!

how do I post stuff? I went online and registered and received an approval but I can't make a post. My internet is flaking out so maybe it's that.:confused:

They are going to put up some quick tips on how to maneuver through the website. As it is crunch time for the AP's the next two weeks, they will be putting them up little by little. Right after the AP's they will fill in all the "how to's" so if your having trouble you can go there.

There is a contact button if you need specific help right away.

Now, regarding your question about making posts. When you post hit the reply button rather than the reply to author button. Reply to author just goes to the original poster and not onto the thread. Hitting reply makes your comment appear on the thread.

Try that.... if still having trouble let me know.

Thank you for joining..... I'm so excited to have someone to walk through Comp Sci with :0)

Deb

HURRAY! IT's there today. I may have just tried too quickly last night or had to many internet flakes for everything to work last night.

I'm excited too! I hope we can make this grow. It would be great to have a place to talk shop as my friends IRL aren't there yet so I am alone :001_huh:

And we have two classes in common next year. We're doing CAL BC as well.

See ya over there!

So glad it is working. They are in the process of getting out final glitches... and trying to make it easier to move around the site.

They did an amazing job considering many didn't have any computer knowledge or web design at all!

They are open to suggestions - so if you have any, let them know.

Also, I also became a member in the actual study groups that the teens will be using. I wanted to keep on top of all their questions (maybe it would help me too LOL!)

Feel free to join the student portions. When I post or answer a question I just put Mrs. W or Mrs. Deb so that they know I'm a mom and not another student.

Share the information with any homeschooling AP people you may know.

Deb

Angie,

Thank you so much for checking out the site. I did ask them about Music Theory and one of the teens that started the group did take it.

If you click on STUDI groups and then the sub-page Social Studies, then there will be a sub page called Music Theory.

It should be there, if not just let me know.

It is such a blessing to have the kids be able to support each other during the AP process!

Deb

Angie,

Thank you so much for checking out the site. I did ask them about Music Theory and one of the teens that started the group did take it.

If you click on STUDI groups and then the sub-page Social Studies, then there will be a sub page called Music Theory.

It should be there, if not just let me know.

It is such a blessing to have the kids be able to support each other during the AP process!

Deb

Ah, now I see it. Thanks. I'll tell dd and have her subscribe/sign up. Again,thank you!

Well I tried to sign up the other day, but have yet to hear back. I just tried again. It could be that I did something wrong.

*waiting*

Angie,

Yes, there are still a few glitches since they are just opening it up "live". I think they found you and you should be okay to post now.

Please check it out and if your still having trouble PM me and I'll have them look into it right away.

Thanks!

Deb

Angie,

Yes, there are still a few glitches since they are just opening it up "live". I think they found you and you should be okay to post now.

Please check it out and if your still having trouble PM me and I'll have them look into it right away.

Thanks!

Deb

Both were approved. I accidentally signed up in the wrong account, so dropped that one.

Thanks. DD is so busy this week (month, really!) that she has not had time to look at it yet.