Menu

Theatre audition question - is this song okay?

Over the summer, we always work on a couple of audition songs and monologues for the girls to use when they try out for Children's Theatre in the fall. This is a small town, so it's not a huge thing. Chances are excellent that they'll be in it, but DD10 is really hoping for a larger role. Last year, in Annie, she was one of the main orphans and she was delighted.

She will be 11 when she tries out. The judges allow 2 minutes of singing and I usually modify the song length and sometimes the lyrics. They prefer that kids not sing songs "older" than they are - (for example, popular love songs on the radio sung by kids younger than 14/15).

She wants to sing "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray. She relates to that song because she is very small and has to work extra hard for people to look past her size for parts, sports, even academics.

The parts I'm worried about are,

"....if you don't like the way I look, I just don't give a d@mn"

Should I alter this to some other wording to remove profanity?

and all the parts about women shaking it, such as...

"....a man and woman like to shake it on a Saturday night..."

or

"....a woman found out if she shook it she could shake up a man..."

Would this be appropriate? I also help plan how she dances while she sings and the shaking would probably involve arms/head rather than elsewhere. :tongue_smilie:

I would not encourage your DD to use that song. There's not enough of a vocal range requirement to let a director really know what your DD can do.

Do you know what show(s) your DD will be auditioning for? Usually it's best to choose a song from the same composer, but not the same musical. Otherwise choose a song that really shows off your DD's vocal range. We even have one director in town who wants to hear a song from the show for which one is auditioning, but normally that is not recommended. It really helps to know who is directing and what his preferences are.

At our house, DD always works on her audition song, as well as all the songs from the show. Luckily, her vocal coach picks out most of the audition songs, because I don't think I would do a good job of it.

It's great you are getting your DD ready in advance. And I'll bet she loved "Annie". It's one of our favorites.

:)

We don't know yet what has been chosen, but it's rumored to be Lion King Jr. They discourage singing songs from the actual production.

Honestly, her vocal range is not great. Each year it gets better and she is joining the church choir soon which will help. I tend to steer towards songs with limited vocal range although she might surprise me if I stretch a bit further! Her part last year had only a couple of singing lines (four or five words each) and then group singing. I'll look around and see if I can find something a bit more outside her range and have her practice it as well. I'll do a bit of googling and see if I can find other songs by the same composer.

My youngest has a wider range but so far, has preferred group parts. She usually sings something Shirley Temple-ish.

The directors are the same each year so they know most of the kids and what they can do. If talents change during the year, the audition is the place to show them. Thanks for the suggestion.

What about "Be Our Guest"? It's another Disney tune and it has a narrow vocal range. One nice thing about that song is it allows for much facial expression and hand movement.

Another idea is something from Tarzan or "Friend Like Me" from Aladdin.

Edited by Minniewannabe

No, I would not suggest she sing that song. If they are doing a Disney Jr production, find a Disney song. I would however be careful, The Lion King, Jr does not exist. If they annoumce that as a show, they are most likely not doing shows legally. Little Mermaid, Jr was just released however.

Your child would not be on trouble for participating, just know that of they are doing productions Illegally and they get caught, your dd could be very disappointed of a show is camcelled after casting.

I would not encourage your DD to use that song. There's not enough of a vocal range requirement to let a director really know what your DD can do.

Do you know what show(s) your DD will be auditioning for? Usually it's best to choose a song from the same composer, but not the same musical. Otherwise choose a song that really shows off your DD's vocal range. We even have one director in town who wants to hear a song from the show for which one is auditioning, but normally that is not recommended. It really helps to know who is directing and what his preferences are.

At our house, DD always works on her audition song, as well as all the songs from the show. Luckily, her vocal coach picks out most of the audition songs, because I don't think I would do a good job of it.

It's great you are getting your DD ready in advance. And I'll bet she loved "Annie". It's one of our favorites.

We have been given different advice from directors in the past. You want a good, solid audition song that your kid can nail with personality, something that will make the directors/judges take notice and get a foot in the door. Demonstrating the full vocal range is done in callbacks. That's when the directors are casting specific roles and pairing duets and ensembles. That's what we've always been told, anyway.

I am also curious about the Lion King licensing, I haven't seen that one done yet by youth theater around here. And as far as I know, a local company just had to drop Little Mermaid, Jr because the licensing did not come through soon enough to perform as part of the schedule as originally planned.

I think it's better to choose a song you can sing as written rather than adapt lyrics that are not age appropriate. The directors have heard all these songs a million times and know all the lyrics by heart; I think that when they know a cuss word is part of an audition song, and the audition is in a hall full of kids and parents, all they can do is hold their breaths and wait to see how you'll deal with THAT word. Wouldn't you rather have your child sing a song wherein the judges can relax and focus on the performer?

If you are indeed auditioning for LK, how about a song from Seussical? Many of them have the playful yet soulful sound a Lion King number would have. Of something from Aladdin with an ethnic sound, if you want to stick with Disney.

Just my two cents...