Menu

Wagner for children?

happypamama

Someone suggested to me that my young Tolkien fans might enjoy some of Wagner's ring cycle music. However, I am clueless! I know it is pretty long, and while that's not necessarily a turn-off, I think we probably want to know a bit about the story beforehand. Is there a decent book or something that would help us? Or specific parts of the music that we want to make sure we catch? I was looking for Ambleside's list for Wagner, and they don't seem to have many past years on there anymore, so no Wagner.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The University of Oregon has a classical music station that can be streamed elsewhere. They apparently have listeners all over the world. Fridays they have call in requests. You might be able to call (or email) in a request for something by Wagner that they would consider a good beginning sample for children who like Tolkien. They like getting requests from children themselves, I think.

We've been going through the Story of the Orchestra and their is a Wagner page. My kids love The Ride of the Valkyries (I think that's what it's called) and I have been looking for more myself.

I have not read this, but it might be a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Benjamins-Ring-Richard-Wagners-Nibelung/dp/1466497246/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335699728&sr=1-1

Hth

Here's what Ambleside had:

2006-2007 TERM 3 (This term's artist is Titian) Richard Wagner (1813-1883); Jacques Offenbach (1819-1880) (German Romantic)

Listening selections for this term:

Wagner: Siefried's Idyl (orchestral)

Wagner: Selections from The Valkyries (opera)

Wagner: The Love Feast of the Twelve Apostles (choral) (massive work requiring 1200 singers and 100 instruments!) (4 weeks) Offenbach: Selections from Orpheus in the Underworld (opera)

Offenbach: Selections from The Tales of Hoffmann (opera)

Off to find The Ride of the Valkyries now ...