Menu

Key To Algebra or MM Algebra I...maybe???

Hi everyone!

I really need to find an inexpensive, straight forward Algebra I program for my DD to work through over the summer. She is way behind in math so we're trying to play catch-up before the fall. I'm hoping to find something that she can work through independently. We have a copy of Lial's Introductory Algebra (8th ed), but I would probably have to go through it with her. I was thinking one of these may work??

Key To Algebra

or

Math Mammoth Algebra 1

Thanks so much for your help!!!

MM Algebra 1 is just worksheets, not instruction. I'd choose that only for extra practice, not a full algebra program. (My understanding is that Key to Algebra is not a full algebra program either, though it may have its uses and should contain some instruction.)

I would not allow a struggling student to teach themselves algebra independently. Why not use Lial's with a tutor - perhaps a college student home for the summer?

We have never used math mammoth but both dc's have done key to algebra as a supplement. It is a fairly complete course. The explanations are clear. Work manageable per page. Almost all the writing is in the workbooks. Answer books clear. The best thing about it is can go anywhere! So perfect for summer activities. I also think it could be finished over the summer. I think my daughter spent 3 or 4 months on it. I can't think of anything that is missing but not knowing your dd's future plans I am a little nervous about saying it does it all. My kids have done a lot of different courses so they know algebra well -- but not just from key to. Hope this helps.

For what it is worth I just asked my kids. They both liked it and consider it to be fairly complete for algebra I.

For what you want, Key to is a better match than Math Mammoth. Key to is remedial level math, so the problems never get super challenging. Depending on the math you want to do after this course, you may want stronger preparation. It is definitely geared towards self-teaching, which is nice.

My DD is currently teaching herself algebra with Life of Fred and enjoying it. It's also kind of light, but I'm just sort of trusting if we stick with it for Algebra II and Trig that eventually all the bases will be covered. She's an 8th grader, so we have time. In addition to the main textbook, get the Home Companion for the self-teaching guide and extra problems. My DD likes me to put post-its over the answers so she's not tempted to cheat, but other than that I'm doing no prep work. As I check over her work, I move the post-its from the chapter I just graded to the next chapter.

--Janet

We have never used math mammoth but both dc's have done key to algebra as a supplement. It is a fairly complete course. The explanations are clear. Work manageable per page. Almost all the writing is in the workbooks. Answer books clear.

Thank you all so much for your replies! This is exactly what my dd needs - clear, to the point and do-able. I don't want to discourage her any further! I probably should have mentioned that we did a program online last year for 9th that she worked through but didn't seem to retain at all. She said that she still felt lost after doing almost the entire year. We were supposed to do the Lial's this year together, but it just didn't work out the way I had hoped.

As of now, my dd does not have plans for college that would require high level math, but I definitely want her to "get" algebra...not just "get through" it.

Now that you mention it though, the LOF idea may work well for us also! We have done the LOF Decimals & Percents and the Fractions books previously. I'll have to take a look at the samples again. Thanks for the idea!

Now, this begs the question...what is the best way to assign credits at this point?!?!?

We love the LOF books in general. Since she has used them before I would add them in. Anything that puts math in a real (fictional in this case) world context promotes a greater understanding.

What the key to books are great for is a this is the rule, this is how you do it. Let's practice it. Now a little bit more complicated. Now add this in. All in black and white. No frills.

Don't forget the Khan academy either. The explanations are really well done. The practice problems are good too.

As for credits I am not sure. Maybe go off the number of hours spent. If she finishes key to and has spent 180 hours award 1 credit? But if she already has an algebra 1 credit then I would probably just do it without credit. The aim is to understand algebra.

My child will be using Lial's over the summer even though he has completed Algebra I with TT (with an A, but I knew he had some gaps). After I had him do their diagnostic test (first of the book) I could clearly see which chapters/concepts he needs extra help on. And don't forget that they have online video instruction... http://interactmath.com/home.aspx Use the pull down to find the right textbook.

Also, here is a link I found for how to schedule lial's if interested.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-133975.html

HTH,

Penny