Menu

NCAA and ACT/SAT registration...

I just finished registering my 10th grade son for the June ACT.

When I was at the page where I selected the score report choices, I had an idea. Last year, I sent his scores nowhere. I was not going to send them anywhere this year either, but then I realized that I get 4 free score reports, and ds did well enough on the ACT last year for the NCAA guidelines. So, I called and checked with Kevin at the homeschool dept of the NCAA, and he said that if I sent the test scores in 10th grade, they would keep them and wouldn't need to see updated ones. That way, I can use the free reports next year (or whenever) to send to colleges.

Thought I'd share that idea. :001_smile:

Just in case you don't know about the NCAA guidelines for the ACT, they are based on the students Core GPA. If a student has a 3.0 GPA, for example, they need a combined (math+science+reading+english) ACT score of 52 (620 for SAT), at least according to the 2011-2012 NCAA guide. The higher the GPA, the lower the ACT/SAT score needed.

HTH!

Thanks for the info. This is timely information. I am having my daughter take the SAT or ACT next year so college coaches will know for sure that she is academically qualified. She is only a rising 9th grader, but gymnasts frequently verbally commit in 10th grade, so we will be contacting coaches next year if she has a good season.

Terri

Sue - Thanks for bringing this topic up to be on everyone's radar screen, mine included! I'm being dense, I just know it.....I'm not seeing the 4 free score reports option on the ACT website. Was going to submit my DDs score to the NCAA and they want $10 from me. Help?

Also, I'm a bit perplexed about what Kevin told vs. what he just told me today. My DD is in 8th grade and scored well (27). I asked him about sending that now, and then not ever again....pros, cons, etc. He said we really should keep them in the loop each year our child takes the ACT/SAT, presuming better scores each time. He said a problem could arise when my DD is a junior and getting recruited and a college coach sees her current (hopefully high) ACT score. They may go to the NCAA, they will see her lower, 8th grade score, and wonder why the NCAA doesn't have her more up-to-date score? That may not look good.

Wondering why he told you a bit differently.

Anyway, I'm going to send it now (hopefully for free, with your assistance), but I will continue to send updated scores as she takes the test each time.

Just chiming in with what I know.....

Okay.....just got off the phone with ACT Customer Serv. We get 4 free score reports up until Thursday Noon AFTER just having taken the test. If you wait to see scores, and then want to submit the scores, you pay no matter what.

So not sure whether we will send them after all.

What would you do?

I'm not seeing the 4 free score reports option on the ACT website. Was going to submit my DDs score to the NCAA and they want $10 from me. Help?

I think you figured it out. 4 free at registration time, apparently up to a few days after the test?

Also, I'm a bit perplexed about what Kevin told vs. what he just told me today. My DD is in 8th grade and scored well (27). I asked him about sending that now, and then not ever again....pros, cons, etc. He said we really should keep them in the loop each year our child takes the ACT/SAT, presuming better scores each time. He said a problem could arise when my DD is a junior and getting recruited and a college coach sees her current (hopefully high) ACT score. They may go to the NCAA, they will see her lower, 8th grade score, and wonder why the NCAA doesn't have her more up-to-date score? That may not look good.

I think a college coach would have access to college records. I don't see them double checking with NCAA records. But, if they do, I imagine it would be easily explained by the date of the test results. Of course, I'm not worried about 8th grade scores vs. 11th grade scores either.

ETA: Rethinking this...I imagine that the college coach may be interested in an athlete who may or may not have applied to the school. On second thought, it would probably be best for the NCAA to have up-to-date records. It is my understanding that college coaches like bright athletes because they can get them academic scholarships and save the athletic scholarships for the not-so-bright athletes.

Okay.....just got off the phone with ACT Customer Serv. We get 4 free score reports up until Thursday Noon AFTER just having taken the test. If you wait to see scores, and then want to submit the scores, you pay no matter what.

So not sure whether we will send them after all.

What would you do?

I don't see much point in sending in scores to anyone other than the NCAA before I see the scores. $10 won't break me afterwards.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Yeah, this was my husband's reaction too, Sue......"easily explained." I personally just don't want the headache or the stress if there was a question or concern raised by the two different scores.

All of this homeschooling high school/college/NCAA/scholarship stuff is anxiety-producing enough for me!!! :001_huh:

:001_smile: