Menu

Mathophobe conundrum

What should I do for a 2nd grade girl who says she hates math? She can survive the regular lessons but the basic facts are what she really loathes.

The short version: we started Saxon 1 with both girls (2nd and 1st), took some time off, and returned, only to test them and find out they were working a year behind their capabilities. Because the younger one was SO much more motivated and natural at math, we moved her to Singapore 1B and kept the older daughter in Saxon 2. Now nobody likes math.

The long version: before I started doing more regular school, both girls would--on their own--do math. (Saxon 1) We didn't do the meetings; they could read well enough to do a lesson or two a day on their own. It was mainly the younger girl--the oldest is gifted in language, is left handed, and now hates math.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Time went by, and I felt the Saxon 1 was too easy, and therefore a waste of time. I am honestly pretty laid back, and don't care so much about what grade level something is, but more about "does this material fit" this child at this time? So it seemed a good idea to find something that "fit" them better.

As stated earlier, we did the Saxon test, which said they were working a year behind what they were capable of. So naturally, I move them to the appropriate place in the Saxon 2 books. The younger girl, Ruth, was actually a little farther ahead than her older sister Elizabeth. This discouraged E, who started to develop a disdain for math around this time. She is so competitive and says she hates it because Ruth is better.

"Okay, I'll split them up into different books" I thought. A lady at Rainbow resource actually suggested this and it made a lot of sense. It only got worse. The Singapore math wasn't as much fun for Ruth (we moved her to that and kept E in Saxon), and of course E thought Singapore looked great and felt jealous.

Specifically, E has the most trouble with math facts. I'd love some games or activities that don't seem like math, for this. She can survive the regular lessons, just not the sheets with several rows of facts. We are doing unschooling for the next month or two and a major goal during this time is to salvage her math education so when we get back to more bookwork later, it is not as much of a struggle.

Edited by Just-a-mom
Pytos, no, typos, haha. And clarity.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm

I switched to Singapore for my DD who doesn't "get" math. She likes the visual element. Are you using the games in the teacher's guide?

I made a set of flashcards with number bonds on them, leaving one number blank. So there's a visual of a bond, then for instance, a "9" and a "4" with the circle or square for the "5" blank. The kids take turns naming the missing number. I drew a number bond on a white board (laying flat on the floor), put coins as our manipulative in two of the three circles and have the kids fill the next. I also used the white board to practice number bars. I line up the coins, draw a bar above them representing the total, then cover up some of the coins with my hand and ask the kids to tell me either what is left or what is missing.

DD is doing much better now. But, she also plays math games on Always Ice Cream, Jump Start and Math Blaster- so that helps too. ;)

Timezattack is fun (and now they have addition and subtraction, too) on a PC or a Mac.

RocketMath is fun on an iPod or iPad.

With flash cards, I lay them out on the floor in a grid, and we take turns flipping a penny (sibling can play too). You answer whatever Q the penny lands on. Get it right, keep the card. Get it wrong, it stays. At the end, all the cards other people kept go back on the floor. Repeat until tired or she wins all the cards (at some point I kick older brother out of game).

Hot dots are fun. Talking pen signals with music or flashing light correct answers. They have math cards, geography cards, reading comprehension, and more, not very expensive. Pen batteries lat quite a while. My son liked them because nobody knew how many times he tried to get a correct answer.

Math mammoth links to a website where you can generate infinite drill worksheets if that's what she needs to do.

Cuisinaire Rods are great, because kids can physically explore relationships themselves. How many ways can I make 10? 8? 7? You can do this with colored pencils or pennies as well by grouping them in piles. Piles of pencils or crayons or pennies help figure out redistributing ("carrying and borrowing") too.

Hope you figure out something that works!

Jen