Menu

Washington D.C. - Where to stay

I am planning on taking the kids to Washington D.C. sometime towards the end of June. I have gotten so much information on other threads here about what to do and see, and now that I have that part of our trip planned I am moving on to where to stay.

I know we should be near the metro for convenience. I am on a very tight budget, so I need something near the metro and something affordable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I'm hoping some NoVa or MD folks chime in. I would recommend checking into hotels on the Metro that are not in DC. Try in the Arlington or Alexandria area (sorry, MD folks, I know next to nothing about that side of the Potomac). Metro stops include Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon, Courthouse, and Rosslyn. I know there is a Comfort Inn around Ballston and an Econo Lodge near there as well.

Places like Crystal City and those near National Airport will likely be more expensive.

Good luck!

Also, it depends on whether you want to be within walking distance to the metro or don't mind riding a bus for a few miles first.

Check the hotels near the West Falls Church, East Falls Church, and Vienna metro stops. If you google "West Falls Church metro hotels" lots of things come up. The EconoLodge is very near the East Falls Church metro station and it looks like you can get one room for about $100/night. (I plugged in 1 adult and 2 children - 1 room) I'm not sure if that's cheap or not. It is not a fancy place, but it is within walking distance of the metro and in a fairly safe area.

If you get closer to D.C. (Ballston, Crystal City, Rosslyn, etc.) the prices go up and the noise and traffic congestion increase considerably - lots of high-rise buildings and hustle and bustle. If I were coming from out of town, I'd prefer the slower pace of Falls Church.

We have stayed many times at the Best Western in Rockville, Maryland.

They have a free van that will drive you/pick you up from the metro. There is a schedule they follow and we often had to take a taxi back to the hotel (under $10).

They have a really nice outdoors pool and a huge free breakfast buffet.

Another idea is the Marriot Courtyard in Chinatown. We stayed Friday and Sat. nights with Marriot Reward points for free - but I think it is in the low 100's if you don't stay Sunday.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wascn-courtyard-washington-convention-center/

The building is a restored bank, and we ate breakfast every day in the "vault". They also have an indoor pool.

We never used the Metro, just walked. We did one day of the trolley loop to hop on/ off outer sites...

Are you driving in? Or flying?

If you have a car, you could stay in Bowie, MD. It is right off of Rt. 50. Just a short drive to New Carrollton metro station. There is a Target, Town Center with shops/restaurants, and tons of other restaurants close by.

There is a Hampton Inn, a Townplace suites and a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn, can't remember.

Are you driving in? Or flying?

If you have a car, you could stay in Bowie, MD. It is right off of Rt. 50. Just a short drive to New Carrollton metro station. There is a Target, Town Center with shops/restaurants, and tons of other restaurants close by.

There is a Hampton Inn, a Townplace suites and a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn, can't remember.

I am not sure if we will be driving in or taking the train. We will be coming from the Chicago area, and I am still figuring everything out. So much depends on my budget.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

I am going to sit down this weekend and look at all the hotels everyone recommended and hopefully make a reservation. We are going primarily for my 12 year-old-son who has been asking to go to Washington D.C. for years now. He is so excited that we are finally going to make it there, and I am happy that there is so much to do there for free. I think this is going to end up being a great trip. :)

:iagree: with maryann! Hotel Harrington is a great place to stay and within walking distance of the mall. I remember it being under $120 which is a great price for such

aclose location. It is near the Old Post Office where there is a food court with lots of choices.