Menu

If I switch to CLE math

for dd11 what should I do? For a little background, she is set to finish level 6 of Systematic Mathematics. I feel the program is strong in some areas but not in others. For example, she has not covered decimals at all and wont until the middle of 7th grade. She also has not covered negative numbers and wont until middle of 7th grade. Also, in the beginning she really liked the video but is now growing tired of it and would rather I just teach her. Dd8 has used CLE from the beginning (after a short detour) and loves it. So I looked at the placement test for 5th grade with CLE, and I doubt she could pass it because she doesn't have the above mentioned topics. I looked at the workbooks that are to be a bridge into the program but that says for 400-800, I just need her to be ready for level 700 next year. If we did all three bridge workbooks would that make her ready for level 800 or Pre-Algebra? If we start over in level 500 that will put her 2 years behind? What should I do?

I am not familiar with Systematic Mathematics or any bridge workbooks, but my dd has used CLE Math 500 through 800.

When my daughter began CLE 500 she had already completed (or nearly completed) Saxon 5/4 and had already worked with levels. I do believe 500 was a good place for her to start.

Have you given her the CLE placement test? You can download it for free: http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21.

I do not think that level 800 is necessary You should be able to have her go through 700 and then switch to an Algebra program. Also, I skip the first light unit in every level and we sometimes double up on lessons. If she is doing well and getting say 95% correct, I will cross out some of the review problems in each lesson. If her scores start to go down, she does all of the problems.

What grade is your daughter considered? Perhaps she could do math year-round until she is on tracki.

Lastly,

Also not familiar with the Bridge workbooks, but currently have one kid in CLE 2, one in 5 and one in 8.

I, too, recommend the placement test. We had to back up some in order to play catch-up, but it's been worth it.

I've heard you can skip the 800 level and just go into algebra as well, so you can tentatively factor that if need be.

We'll be going through the summer to be caught up.

She will be going into 7th this year. I have looked at the 500 level placement test and I doubt she would pass it because of the negative numbers and decimals that she hasn't learned yet. I just dont think i want to start her in level 500 because that would put her behind.

She will be going into 7th this year. I have looked at the 500 level placement test and I doubt she would pass it because of the negative numbers and decimals that she hasn't learned yet. I just dont think i want to start her in level 500 because that would put her behind.

You could have her quickly work through the Key to Decimals book and then do a few quick lessons on negative numbers. They only do the most basic stuff involving negative numbers in level 5. Then maybe she could actually go into the 600 level.

CLE also sells booklets that cover all the geometry and algebra concepts taught throughout their levels. If you picked those up, and worked through them, you might be able to place her more appropriately. They are designed to bridge a gap for students coming from another program to CLE. http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/170

Lisa