Menu

Soooo...Do I have to teach math using a "curriculum"?

LunaLee

Or is it okay if I just use the Key To Series for pre-algebra?

I can do math, I just can't teach it. :banghead: Ds seems to do better when things are simplified and plain with easy explanations. I can't seem to find a "curriculum" that does that, so is there anything wrong with just teaching math from workbooks?

I guess I'd just like input from people who are more experienced than me when it comes to math and can see the bigger picture better than I can.

We are using the Key To series with my 10 year old. We use it WITH another curriculum (CLE - which is great for independent learning and is written to the student, fyi).

I will say that the Key To series is great for pre-algebra, but keep in mind that it doesn't teach certain pre-algebra concepts (integers, for one).

I am using Khan academy to teach myself Algebra and am AMAZED at what I missed the first time through. He explains it so well. Just in the last couple of days, I've set two more of my kids up with their own account. If you haven't already done so, and don't mind making use of the computer, you could give it a try.

He repeats himself a bit (usually while trying to draw something) but I'm not bothered by it.

Thanks Aimee, I was probably going to include the Key to Algebras (or most of them) in with the others, as it seems that a lot of the topics in the Key to Algebra series are what's covered in most of the pre-algebra texts I've looked at.

Darla, I've thought about Khan and have set up an account, but ds isn't so keen on being on the computer all the time. However, I may just have him use it anyways with the topics he's not clear on.

I am not using a curriculum for dd. She has been creating a notebook and doing hands on math since the end of last year and her understanding of math has increased astronomically. To make sure we are covering 2nd grade skills I use a book by Kathryn Stout called Maximum Math. It is a list of skills necessary for each grade level. I also use this site

http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4507283&pageId=5048438

to give me logic problems, games, and oral work. Also if the weeks review pages have something we have not covered then I will include that in the new concepts taught that week. Usually we take 2 new skills and introduce them for the week, practice skills not mastered, and review skills we have mastered.

Math has gone from a subject full of tears to one of exploration and fun.

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I am not using a curriculum for dd. She has been creating a notebook and doing hands on math since the end of last year and her understanding of math has increased astronomically... Math has gone from a subject full of tears to one of exploration and fun.

Yes, I like the idea of a math notebook. I know there's a blogger, Jimmie, who talks in great lengths about her daughters notebook so maybe I will pay her a visit. Thanks!