Menu

Little readers for the younger ones? First and second graders?

momsuz123

My younger dd loves Little Critter books. Problem is, there are only so many. She dreads Bob books...too boring for her. She is about your average first grade reader, although it is hard for her, and she doesn't particularly want to do it. When she saw the Little Critter books that she was able to read, she just lit up.

Any other "great" little readers for the younger grades? What have your kiddos liked to get them more into reading? She is not ready for any chapter books yet. Too many words on a page will terrify her.

Thanks!

Books I love for beginning readers:

Frog & Toad books (Lobel)

Fox books (Marshall - he also has others: "3 by the sea" "3 up a tree")

Little Bear (Sendak)

These were immensely popular with my students when I taught 1st. I have quite the collection, but my young one isn't quite ready for them. I can't wait for her to start them! (They are "chapter" books, but of a manageable variety; usually each "chapter" is a stand-alone story.)

Other books I've recently found for DD's 1st grade year that I'm looking forward to using:

Harriette Treadwell's Primer and 1st reader

Usborne's Farmyard Tales collection

Mine didn't care for Bob books either. On this page, you can see what Memoria Press uses for their first graders. We've also gotten Henry and Mudge, Frog and Toad, and Amelia Bedelia readers from the library. We've also bought readers from DK, Flyleaf, and Penguin Young Readers. We saw some Penguin Young Readers at a science museum and picked ones on topics that she loves (currently, stars, honeybees, and trees.) She also liked a book by Grace Lin called Ling and Ting and she absolutely loves You Read to Me, I'll Read to You by Mary Ann Hoberman.