Menu

Anyone want to collaborate on creating a lesson plan for Middle School Chemistry?

Briartell

Hello! I am looking for people (more than one would be great!) to help me create a daily lesson plan to be put on Google documents for all to see. It would be free for all. You can pm me or reply to this thread. Even one video that matches well with a chapter would be great.

I would like to make it a year long program for 6-8th graders. The guide would be for 4 days a week for 36 weeks. I think the 4 days a week would work best since it works for those who use coops on their fifth day but it is easily can be changed to 2 days a week which many do.

I would like one experiment to be done each week and the other three days to include supplemental activities like library books, iPad/iPod apps, videos, vocab work, and games.

I love what CHOLL does and I think this would work very well with the ACS program. You can see her student and teacher guides here.

Thoughts?

You could look at the course material and let me know what lesson it refers to and what supplement you would use.

Also, for those that have used the program, I would love hear how you have implemented it.

Edited by Briartell

I can't really help with lessons plans, but I did put together a materials list for each experiment, if that's any help:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226507

I may be doing this over the summer with DS (after watching Nova's Hunting the Elements documentary last week, he asked if we could do some chemistry this summer), so I might be able to contribute lists of supplementary reading, documentaries, etc., but couldn't really help with scheduling (we tend to just fit things in when we want rather than follow a schedule).

Jackie

Was about to suggest those as well.

Why 38 weeks? My first thought is that a lot of co-ops only meet for anywhere from 28-36 weeks... but 38 is a lot. Especially for homeschoolers who may want wiggle room in case they fall behind/want to go on a field trip/get overloaded and decide to drop science for the week/etc.

Was about to suggest those as well.

Why 38 weeks? My first thought is that a lot of co-ops only meet for anywhere from 28-36 weeks... but 38 is a lot. Especially for homeschoolers who may want wiggle room in case they fall behind/want to go on a field trip/get overloaded and decide to drop science for the week/etc.

I meant 36 weeks. I edited my post to fix that. I don't mean for this to be a co-op plan. I just prefer to have science four days a week since I will use a coop for other classes one day a week.

Theses sites are great!

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/ is the main spine.

I am adding in all of the elements after the periodic table is introduced in section 3. Maybe creating a three ring binder with one element per page. Have them write in the pertinent information and drawing a tile to represent the uses of that element or just listing the facts. There are wonderful videos for almost all elements that can be tied into it.

If my son learns all the is in the ACM chemistry book, memorized the symbols and placements on the periodic table, and has learned a fact or two about each element, I would consider that a very successful year.

• 1 month later...