Menu

XP: Math after Singapore and How Rigorous Does it Have to Be?

Dd (7th, 13) is finishing Singapore 6B this month. She used to be a struggling math student--we went through MUS and CLE before finding Singapore. She's a year behind because we went all the way back to Singapore 3B and worked from there.

Singapore changed her from a child who hated math and struggled greatly to a girl who LOVES math and is excelling.

However, I'm not sure where to go next year for 8th. My options:

* Discovering Mathmatics seems to be the "natural" choice as a continuation of Singapore. I love the look of it and I know she would, too. However, I don't want to use this series through high school as it is "integrated math" rather than a standard sequence. I could use it for 8th, but I'm thinking it makes more sense to switch now to what we'll use through 12th.

* MUS would be a good fit....however, it feels really light compared to Singapore....especially the word problems. Math is dd's favorite subject now and she enjoys Sinapore so much; I love how she's able to approach problem solving. She looked at MUS and said, "It looks SO easy!" I hate for her to take a step backwards, if that makes sense. Is MUS rigorous enough to use through 12th?

* I have researched and ruled out TT, BJU, Saxon, and all of the programs like Jacobs, Foerster, etc.

Part 2 of this question is, "How rigorous is enough? How hard does it have to be?" Dd is very artsy---loves to write, draw, paint, etc. At this point she wants to be an elementary school teacher. I don't see her pursuing anything math/science related. Would MUS do the trick with the least amount of stress?

I also have a 5th grader with some language-related challenges, and MUS seems to be a great fit for him, too....but again, is it enough? The reviews seem to be split. Am I making too big a deal out of it?

Thanks for any input!

Jen

mom to 4: dd 13, ds 13 (CP and Asperger's), ds 11, and dd 7

Well, if it was up to me and I didn't have to consider transcripts and college and the like, I'd stick with a Singapore-type program. But I've heard that integrated math isn't looked upon favorably on transcripts...

:iagree:You may want to ask on the high school board about recording integrated math on a transcript. See, e.g., Saxon Advanced Math - how to state on a transcript - please help

(pssst, also, if she's excelling at Singapore and loves it, another option to look at might be aops prealgebra)

Part 2 of this question is, "How rigorous is enough? How hard does it have to be?" Dd is very artsy---loves to write, draw, paint, etc. At this point she wants to be an elementary school teacher. I don't see her pursuing anything math/science related. Would MUS do the trick with the least amount of stress?

Personally, I'd keep as many doors open for her as possible, in case she later decides to pursue a math/science course of study. It's far too early to peg her as not needing much math, and there's no reason she can't be both artsy and mathy :). Indeed, her success with Singapore and enthusiasm for that "way of thinking" about math would indicate to me that she may be far more math-inclined than she may have seemed when she struggled with those other programs. (And, perish the thought that an elementary school teacher can't use a rigorous high school math education)

Edited by wapiti

A 13 y.o. is likely to change her mind several times before she picks a career (and these days many people change careers mid-stream). She may want to be an elementary school teacher now, but what if she decides later on that she really wants to become a pediatrician or a pediatric audiologist or some other career requiring lots of science coursework?

I would start her in DM1 (which is mostly pre-algebra) and then see how that goes. If you wind up deciding to switch to a traditional sequence, she'll have a leg up on algebra 1 and geometry and can get through those books more quickly.

You guys are fantastic :001_smile:. I got great (and similar) responses on the high school board, too.

I think I'll trust my instinct and stick with DM.

Unfortunately, it's quite pricey with the workbooks and 2 teacher guides per level.

Thoughts on the test bank? We didn't do tests throughout Singapore, but I want to from 8th-12th. It looks like DM only has tests quarterly unless you make your own from the test bank.

Thoughts?

Unlike with the Primary Math series, the workbook for DM is optional. It is also very challenging, like the PM Intensive Practice books. I think you'd be totally fine skipping it, unless you're like me and looking to spread pre-algebra out over two years (presumably not since your DD is 13).

You're right, we want to get through it in a year!

Would there be enough practice without the workbook? I don't mind if she misses the most challenging problems, but I want to make sure that even without the workbook it would be well-rounded and thorough.

Could I get by with just the text, teacher guide, and test bank?