Menu

Honestly, I would say so. It's really only for kids who would enjoy it (of course that doesn't mean they have to love their current curriculum). If you read all the threads, you'll find this to be pretty true. It's deep and challenging and can't really be taught AT a child because it is discovery style learning. I tried pre-algebra with ds11 who is supposedly gifted in math. He scores in the 95th percentile on 8th grade standardized math tests even though he's in 5th. He liked it but I made him throw in the towel - I was getting too frustrated with him because I think he was missing fundamentals and forging ahead nonetheless. There is no drill on new skills. We got almost halfway through, tried a second go from the beginning at a slower pace and then gave up. My son needs some drill on new skills and I didn't have the time or energy to pull together a whole plan for that on my own.

Brownie

I don't think so. I think a child needs to be challenged, but not overwhelmed. Starting young students in a hard AoPS course may be overwhelming mainly because they don't have the background and may have never struggled through solving a problem before.

Too many kids don't want to be challenged. If they can't do it all, then they think they're not smart... I would be careful about easing your child into AoPS, but I don't think only the gifted should tackle it.

I think AoPS is trying to lay some of the groundwork of thinking through challeging problems in elementary school by creating Beast Academy. This has been tremendous for my dyslexic, math struggling daughter. It doesn't have too many problems, but makes her think about every single one. I love how I see her interact with the problems and the learning.

It seems to work best for not just good at math kids, but a particular way of looking at math - my DD is doing AoPS this year & we're going to drop it. She's always been at least a couple years ahead in math, always scored 98+ percentile for math, always THOUGHT of numbers in unusual and quirky ways, so I thought AoPS would be a good fit for her. But, after doing it for a year, and being very successful as far as understanding the material and being able to solve the problems, she now says math is her least favorite subject! :( I think this might be because she wants to be an engineer - she likes math when it's methodical and clear-cut, all the 'creative stuff' really gets her goat - this is the same child who never liked crafts or artwork of any kind, either. I think a child who can appreciate the creative side of mathematics is the best fit for AoPS, a child who is more of an 'engineer type' may just find it annoying like my DD has.

Both DS, a very mathy 4th grader, and the DS of a good friend, not mathy 8th grader, are finishing up AoPS pre-algebra. They both LOVE the program and it's revitalized the way they feel about math. It's not a math program for every child, but it's great for those that like discovery based math. Good luck.

I always assumed that AoPS was for gifted kids only, but I was pretty well convinced by discussions with the hive, that if well prepared in the early years, more kids could do this work than I originally thought. Here are the links to 2 very extensive threads about this issue from the accelerated learners board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349586

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357678

Ruth in NZ

I've been thinking ahead a couple years, and wondering about this. DS likes math and is good at it, but I'm not sure whether he'd be too keen on stewing over problems for hours.

So in the following sentence: "If your child uses and loves X for an elementary math curriculum, AoPS will be a good fit!" - what is x?? Is there a good or easy answer to that? (Obviously Beast Academy would probably be a good answer for x, but is there anything else??)

My older boy found Singapore Math's intensive practice and challenging word problem books to be enough to prep him for AoPS Algebra (there was no prealgebra back then). But he is gifted in math.

Younger son, who likes math but is more typically "bright," is doing the same program for elementary. When he finishes SM, I will try him on AoPS prealgebra. If he is just miserable, I will hop ship for a couple of years and let him mature. Then I will try AoPS one more time when he is about 13 or 14. If it doesn't work again, we will find something else for High school math.

Definitely read the other threads I linked to, because there is also the whole thing about the discovery method and personality of your child. The second thread is all about how to prep them to succeed in AoPS.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ