Menu

How many days a week should you teach OPGTR?

bttrflyvld

That is almost impossible to say. I did it 5 days a week for my 4 year old but had to take breaks when she got tired of it. I think it also depends what else you are doing and also how the child handles it - some people will do the entire book in a year and others take 2-3 years over it. I probably wouldn't do it less than 3 days a week but that is just me.

That is almost impossible to say. I did it 5 days a week for my 4 year old but had to take breaks when she got tired of it. I think it also depends what else you are doing and also how the child handles it - some people will do the entire book in a year and others take 2-3 years over it. I probably wouldn't do it less than 3 days a week but that is just me.

This is what my dd is doing. We are doing it every day and stopping if she needs extra practice or a break.

Edited by Guest

We do 5 days as part of our school. In the beginning, we took a break after the short vowel sounds to read books, play games, and write words. Dd just wasn't clicking with reading. After a month, she took off with her sounds and we picked up OPGTR again. Now, we do 1-3 lessons a day, read a few short readers, and then write a sentence. I stopped planning the lessons; dd is not a linear learner. Some weeks she'll burn through multiple lessons in a day; other weeks, one lesson is a struggle.

We do it 7 days a week. Occasionally we end up taking a day off but most days we do it. I actually found that my son complained less when we did it everyday and we get done faster. It was more intensive when he was learning to read CVC words but we are on lesson 94 now and it only takes 15 minutes or so. He doesn't mind it either and reads right out of the book now. We have talked about it and he wants to do it because his "work" (imaginary play) wants him to know how to read some very difficult words. :lol: He has a very active imagination.