Menu

Debating writing for ds...

I am debating whether or not I NEED a writing program for my soon-to-be-11 ds, and if so, which program to go with.

Currently, we're using suggestions from the Brave Writer Lifestyle, although he hasn't yet written an official essay. He does journal, and occasionally writes fiction - he's working on a novel of sorts off and on. He does not LOVE writing, but will do it.

I'd like to bump up his writing efforts, and get him writing solid paragraphs, etc., perhaps in prepapration for using The Lost Tools of Writing in another year or two. So, I have been looking at Writing Skills (EPS), The Paragraph Books (also EPS), WWE, and WWS. Which of these would you choose? Or should I just finish reading The Writer's Jungle and go with that?

Thanks!

Well, I'd finish reading The Writer's Jungle just to glean from it what you can. I've never laid eyes on it, so I'm not voting one way or the other.

I checked out The Complete Writer from the public library and used that to introduce my son to WWE's methods and then decided to buy WWE 4. So far so good. I have WWS on the shelf to use next. You can look at samples and this chart at the WTM store's site to help you decide. Just click on the level you're thinking about and then click on the sample.

Funny, I misread your subject line for this thread to say, "Debate for ds's writing." Competing in debate is what has helped my dd's writing the most (b/c I'm such an awful writer) and it has helped ds too this year. WWE helps me channel that progress. :)

Want to hear something rather sad? I actually own all the programs you mention with the exception of LToW and the EPS Writing Skills books. :blushing:

Brave Writer's WJ is something that I found inspirational to read but it's so "big picture" I've yet to figure out how to actually implement it. I personally need something with a LOT more guidance/structure to it.

I really liked TPB because it is a step-by-step-by-step approach to teaching how to write basic original paragraphs of different types (how-to, narratives, persuasive, compare/contrast, etc.)

WWS is also good but has a different focus. It focuses on writing about a specified passage rather than having to generate a totally original topic and then write on that. We only just started with it and are going slowly so the jury is definitely still out, but I really like what I've seen of it so far.