Menu

Is Abeka Math good math curriculum?

Guest home's cool

Guest home's cool

I started homeschooling my eldest when he was in Gr. 2. The math textbook we used then was ACSI Math 2. Then, his EA suggested that we use Abeka Math for Gr. 3 bec. he is sort of advanced (which we are also done)...he will be in Gr. 4 soon and am torn what math curriculum should I use. my ds is pretty good in math which is amazing. Just want to know if it would be a good idea to stay with ABeka Math 4 to have continuity or change to Saxon Math 54.

Any thoughts, comments or advice please. Thank you.

:grouphug:

home's cool in alberta, canada

blessed mom to jd 9 y/o and jj 3 y/o

happy wife to jcm

I haven't used ABeka math, but I will tell you my boys HATED Saxon! We are using R&S math now and it is going MUCH better. My understanding was saxon was like ABeka without the color. Just my uninformed opinion.

I hope someone else answers.

Abeka starts out a little advanced...about 1 semester. Then it falls off by 6th grade. I do not know of a single private school that will even use their math program in the older years. Abeka tends to be rote in their teaching too. I would not use their math past 2nd grade.

Most families I know who use Abeka don't use it past 3rd grade. They move onto Saxon 5/4. If you choose to use Saxon I would recommend supplementing with Singapore word problems as Saxon, IMO, is weak in teaching concept application, though effective in drilling computation and processes. Many children hate the repetition and the Saxon method can kill the love for math. We have used Saxon in the past, but not anymore. For my younger one, we use Horizons/Singapore combo.

ABeka is a solid, more advanced math. I plan to use it up to Pre-Alg and then we're going to switch. It provides a great basis for advanced math but I personally don't like the look of their advanced math.

:iagree:

I have used Abeka with my son, he is very math savy and has done very well with Abeka through 6th. I don't know about the upper levels, we are actually switching next term to SOS. I will see how he does with that. If it isn't challenging enough, I have considered Teaching Textbooks as another option.

My DD did 3/4 of Abeka 3 math and went into Saxon 5/4 with no issues. It was overall very easy for her. I"d suggest the placement tests - she actually placed in 7/6, but i didn't want to jump her that much. I do regret not trusting the test and jumping at least to 6/5 from Abeka 3.

Most of the math programs have placement tests, and many times the kids place higher than they may actually be ready for. So be aware of that, and look carefully!

We used A Beka math for our boys through 3rd grade then moved on. It didn't seem any more advanced than other maths we used (Saxon and Life Pacs) to me. My kids were getting tired of it, and were happy moving to something else.

Lots of different experiences from different people. you may have to try one thing and if it doesn't work switch to something else.

Best wishes!

is the ONLY curricula that I have NOT swayed from in my 4 years as a homeschooler!!! ~and that speaks volumes around here!;)

I did incorporate Shiller with it last year, but only to take away a little of the 'workbook' part of our school. I love A Beka for math! Love the spiral, love the way they incorporate new material. It definitely works for us.:001_smile:

We used ABeka math from 4th - Pre Alg and it was great! Then we moved to Homesat or TT for high school. I have a ds that has graduated hs and he now carries a 4.0 in engineering. ABeka math is good until high school. The only reason we didn't use K-3rd is cuz my kiddos were in ps. We did try Saxon for Pre-Alg for about one chapter. Above said ds that does so well in math struggled with Saxon so bad that we went right back to ABeka.