Menu

Favorite typing program for SN child?

Well after years of trying and her only pecking and getting worse, we gave up and went to the Dvorak keyboard layout. It minimizes midline crosses and movement up and down. With that change, a new email account (motivation!), and Mavis Beacon, she has literally tripled her wpm in the last 4 months. I HIGHLY recommend. I literally despaired of her ever being a functional typist. Now she does the lessons happily and is making progress. She's at 39wpm. Can you believe! That's a totally age-appropriate score, at least from what I found online.

PS. I pay her. I'm in the hole $100-something to her. I told her any month she increases by at least 5 wpm, I would pay her a dollar for each wpm. It was important to me, very important, because handwriting is, well let's just not say it's a great way of getting her thoughts out. I dream of her being really proficient, in that 80-90 wpm range by the time she graduates. Now it actually looks like it's in reach!

Well after years of trying and her only pecking and getting worse, we gave up and went to the Dvorak keyboard layout. It minimizes midline crosses and movement up and down. With that change, a new email account (motivation!), and Mavis Beacon, she has literally tripled her wpm in the last 4 months. I HIGHLY recommend. I literally despaired of her ever being a functional typist. Now she does the lessons happily and is making progress. She's at 39wpm. Can you believe! That's a totally age-appropriate score, at least from what I found online.

PS. I pay her. I'm in the hole $100-something to her. I told her any month she increases by at least 5 wpm, I would pay her a dollar for each wpm. It was important to me, very important, because handwriting is, well let's just not say it's a great way of getting her thoughts out. I dream of her being really proficient, in that 80-90 wpm range by the time she graduates. Now it actually looks like it's in reach!

I like that idea. My kids will do *almost* anything for money. :) We have been using the computer to work on spelling and dictation and I cannot believe how much easier school goes. I am wondering what took us so long to get to it.