Menu

Spelling

mhaddon

If you use something other than AAS what age do you begin? Do you use AAS and another spelling program? I ask because AAS is more of a phonics program it seems (I'm only on level 1) and I don't feel like it's a real spelling program...

DS will be in 2nd grade next year and I want to start more spelling and I ordered the R&S spelling to look through and DH told me to get sequential spelling to compare and see which we like better. Any thoughts on either of these? I am a horrible speller so if one works for me maybe I'll go through spelling myself :rofl:

Aas is great but $ at $40 for a level. We are using spelli.g power next year. It's 1 spelling book for all levels from8 years old to adult. And like aas it is mastery. The student practices words til they.spell it right.lessons take 15 minutes.

Aas is great thohgh it makes sure they have the sounds down then teaches to segment words into individualxe sounds. My.daughter was awful at spelling and traditional programs did nothing for her. Hence the switch to aas. It's helping so far! We are stuck on the blends right now bc of her speech issues but we are getting there.

I've heard the r&s spelling is good. If you already have it I'd try it and then try aas if that doesn't work for you.

If SS didn't work why?

What about the R&S spelling?

I guess I'm not even sure what to really look for. In school we were just given a list and expected to learn how to spell and never given any rules to why the words were spelled the way they were :(

We are using How to Teach Spelling w/ the How to Spell workbooks. We used SS for a while but my ds was asking why we did things the way we did (double the last consonant before adding an ending, using -tch vs. -ch at the end of words, etc.) and sometimes I could tell him a rule, sometimes I couldn't (because I didn't know the rule myself!). So we switched to HTTS. I am using Level 1 w/ my 1st grader (not a natural speller so far) and Level 2 w/ my 3rd grader (natural speller). Both are improving, even my natural speller. I like that it uses dictation and teaches rules, not just random spelling lists. My 3rd grader is able to figure out words he's never seen or heard before because he knows the rules. He reads a lot and visualizes the word he wants to spell in his head, but if he's never seen the word before, he's stuck. :)

Because of the workbooks, about 75% of the time they can work independently, which is nice. I have to do dictation w/ them the rest of the time.

I wrote up a longer review w/ page samples and links on my blog: http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

We only use AAS (sorry!) but it is a spelling program, it teaches spelling phonetically instead of through random word lists. It does definitely teach encoding instead of decoding (though some people use it vice versa). My oldest DD was reading well (taught phonetically) but still couldn't spell...at all. ;) Thankfully AAS is remedying that by equipping her with the rules she needs to encode - which are a bit more precise than those needed to decode (like knowing when to use a 'k' at the end of words or when to use a 'ck' - taught in level 1).

HTH! :)

If spelling does not come naturally for your child, you should avoid spelling books with random lists where you test at the end of the week. The kids memorize for the test and quickly forget the words because they need a better understanding on the "whys" of our spelling and phonics rules. This is why I love AAS. Since my dd is also very visual, she also draws pictures for the different words to cement it into her mind.

If your child is a good speller, I'd use a book with spelling lists that cover specific rules with each list. If these books seem easy, move to vocab study.