Menu

Any one used The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons?

ItoLina

I like it. I used it with my ds from 4.5-5.5yo. He asked to learn to read, and it was simple and easy to use. I did have it spiral-bound because the book is thick and he was frustrated that he couldn't hold it open himself. It assumes the child is ready to start blending sounds immediately. My ds was easily distracted by any manipulatives at that age, so this was perfect for him as you just open and read together. It got him reading very painlessly, in 5 minutes a day for a year. It did not explicitly say the phonics rules, except for maybe silent -e, it just taught them in a logical order. I'm doing AAS for spelling with him now and he's learning the rules that way. I'd like to use TRL with my dd when she's ready, but it may not be hands-on enough for her, I'll have to wait and see. We're working on phonemic awareness skills until the blending clicks. :)

I love this book and my kids love it too! I like the simple, no frills presentation and my kids really like the stories and illustrations. I teach my children to read Russian (very phonetic) first, so by the time they get this book blending is easy for them. With this book, my six-year old went from not reading English to reading at 2nd grade level in a matter of weeks.

I used this program when my oldest ds was in 1st grade. I used it as his standalone readinging program and we really liked it! Simpe, to the point, clear and concise lessons...just what he needed.

Now when I tried it this year with my younger ds, it was a no-go. He needs more of a workbooky program plus he struggles with phonics anyway. ETC is working better for him.

I used The Reading Lesson to teach my 4yo to read. I really liked it and so did he. It was simple and straightforward and I liked that there was no writing component. Great for young kids! Also, little stories are built into it so there is no need for readers like Bob Books on the side. I plan on using it again with my youngest.

I used it and didn't care for it. I felt like it didn't effectively teach any phonics rules and the whole flow of the program didn't work for us at all. When my DD finished it, I felt like she still had some gaps that needed filling in, so we are reinforcing phonics with Abeka's A Handbook for Reading now.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just mentioning The Reading Lesson on another thread about curriculum that doesn't get mentioned much! We love The Reading Lesson. I used it with my ds after using 100 Easy Lessons with my first dd. I liked The Reading Lesson MUCH better. It isn't as busy as 100 Easy Lessons, which was a huge plus for my ds. While it does not explicitly teach phonics rules, I feel it is a good, gentle introduction to them, in that they are simply implied. I know ds would have been overwhelmed if I had tried to drill him with phonics rules right off the bat. I do plan to go into more structured phonics instruction, now that we are through with The Reading Lesson. With his confidence as a reader built up, I think it will be less overwhelming than it otherwise would have been. Just as a note, we used ETC alongside this book, and my son knew some, but not all, of his letter sounds. HTH!