Menu

Curriculum advice for 2nd grade gifted child?

Hi, I plan to homeschool for the first time this fall. I will have a 7 year old going into 2nd grade that is very gifted, quick learner, reads way above reading level, etc.

I am trying to find curriculum advice or recommendations that would be good for him.

I will also have a child in K that I also need curriculum for and he is just a regular learner.

If you had a gifted child in 2nd, what would you recommend?

Thank yoU!!

Really depends what the strengths of the child are. If in LA then look at strong grammar and writing program. If in math then you can go past Singapore and MEP.

One thing you won't find is a neatly packaged curriculum that will fit your child. You will probably need to put your own package together which isn't as daunting as it sounds. Work out which subjects you are going to cover then pick programs at the right level for you child to cover those subjects.

HTH

Have you read TWTM? It is very helpful.

We could also use more information. Do you want Christian or secular? Prefer to do some subjects together. Package curriculum?

There is so much availiable I have no idea where to start! We used SL with Singapore for are primary curriculum at that age. We also used lots of other things.

I hope this helps some. :001_smile:

You can see my 2nd grader's curriculum in my siggy. Singapore Math has been an amazing fit for us. We've tried 4 different grammar programs (R&S, MCT, FLL, and GWG), and I'm planning to switch back to GWG for a variety of reasons.

I think something very important with gifted kids is to make sure to give placement tests when available. That really helped us with math placement, and they are sometimes available in other subjects as well. There is quite a spread in ds's academic skills depending on the subject, and I think that's not uncommon among the gifted. Because of this, I evaluate each subject individually to find the best fit for him. Things like the amount of white space on the page and font size are pretty important to us when evaluating curricula.

I agree with Singapore math. It has worked really well for us.

We also used some "moving beyond the page" literature units. I found them helpful and ds did well with them.

You may also want to look at the books from Prufrock Press. Many of them are classroom-oriented, but can be used with some changes. I was just looking at the catalog today thinking I should use more books from there. :D