Menu

Abeka 7th grade

salinda

I have no feedback to offer yet, except to say that my oldest dd has LOVED studying her Abeka science textbook this past year. She's recently expressed an interest in nursing, so while I've debated long and hard about using Apologia General Science (which comes highly recommended by many), I've decided to get my dd the complete Abeka science and health kit for 7th, including all the go-alongs.

My boys did the A Beka Science and Health books for a few years. They liked them and learned a lot! Some people say that A Beka is just learning for a test but not REALLY learning it....and it could be that way. But my boys KNEW their material and applied it correctly and appropriately. So, we liked it.

My dd wants just Chemistry for now, so we're going a different route with her.

*bump*

I'm going to an "Abeka materials display" here on Thursday and I'd love to hear more thoughts on their grade 5-7 level materials (I have a dd11 working at various levels) because if I order anything at the display, it's free shipping - considering that I'm in Canada and they're from the US and shipping would be at least 25% (according to their website), I'd love to save that. ;)

also - does abeka have a placement test for their math? I'm not seeing one anywhere yet...still searching...

My kids enjoyed and learned from the 7th grade science book. It was in the 8th that they started loosing interest in ABeka science and we switched to Apologia. We didn't use the Health.

To the lady that asked about 5-7:

We found the elementary science to be VERY enjoyable as it was presented well to us. Even while we were doing unit studies we would use ABeka science as we needed to mesh with our studies. I didn't require any wb pages or test for those grade levels. I just had my kiddos answer the text questions.

The history we found to be okay, but we are more of a unit study/literature approach family, so we mainly used ABeka history for reference. The pictures are awesome and there is a lot covered (in small amts as with any text). Again we just used the text.

Despite the opinions of certain persons we found the math and grammar to be supurb! However I never required my kiddos to do all of the problems or sentences. Maybe 1/3. If they had difficulties then the rest was there for practice as needed. I used the review sections as *test*.

The writing section in the grammar books could be better.

My kids all found the readers to be interesting and would read for fun, but I never found that they make a good literature study, even in highschool. We used LLATL for that.

By the time you get to the 5th grade the spelling list gets LONG. The words are tuff, but my kids never had a problem with that. I attribute this to a couple of things. One when they were psed (the youngest thru 3rd, the older 2 thru 6th) they were taught a great phonics program with dictation. And two ABeka does a good job with the spelling. I have one dd that loved the vocab, but then she is weird like that! :lol:

Have fun at the motel meeting!

I taught the 7th grade A Beka Science one year at a co-op. It was very thorough and very detailed. I felt like it was a lot of memorizing, and not much critical thinking. I remember one test covered 200 pages of material, which I think is a lot for 7th grade. I have only taught Apologia Biology and Chemistry at the same co-op, and they definitely had more critical thinking.

My dd used SOS this year and will next. It's sort of the same in memorizing, but someone gave them to us for free and she actually like science better than last year (we did unit studies). I want to check out BJU. We'll be making the switch to Apologia or BJU by 8th grade at the latest.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds