Menu

Do you tip dog groomers?

I have a 2 yr old border collie who was a stray when we adopted him. We have never had him groomed, but he was looking very scruffy and shaggy. We live in the country, literally in the woods and he's an outside dog.

I dropped him off to be groomed. I would say that he probably needs a lot of work, even though his fur will be groomed short.

Because we live in an impoverished rural area, though many people like to receive tips, the actuality is that few do receive them. I always tips hairdressers and the server at pizza hut (the only sit down restaurant in town).

I feel like I should tip the dog groomer, but I'm not sure how much. I can afford to tip, so the amount wouldn't be a problem, but I want something appropriate (and perhaps a little generous because our collie, while sweet, can be a bit active and hasn't been groomed in two years). Any suggestions? I have no idea what it will cost. I took him in for yearly shots and complete grooming.

I usually tip 15-20%.... So around $10..... Mine is an Australian shepherd mix. He really needs the hair cut or he'd get overheated in the summer. And those nails. Tried to do that once, never again.... I can handle nails on a cat but not the dog!