Menu

French

happypamama

DD started a year ago with Nallenart's L'art de Lire and has just about completed the first level, but she says she does not want more of it. I think it is not as strong in grammar as she wants. She loves Getting Started With Latin, and I wish they had a French version. She's not necessarily adverse to learning colors and useful phrases like "what is your name?," but I think what she really wants is to learn to conjugate verbs so she can create her own sentences and such. It sounds odd, but I don't think she cares if what she learns is in context or not; she will probably like taking a list of verbs, conjugating them, and finding her own context.

So I am looking for suggestions. She is ten, going into fifth grade, and is a strong reader, but she does not do "fun" or "cutesy," so graphics and stories aren't really a draw. I studied French for several years myself, so I can do pretty well at the pronunciations. I'm looking at this: Practice Makes Perfect and this: Schaum's Outline of French Grammar. Any thoughts on either of these, or a suggestion for something else that is not too terribly expensive?

Galore Park's SY French worked really well for us - there are samples on the linked page. The CDs are a bit limited, so I used to add in some more oral practice (I speak French). Otherwise it was a solid programme that prepared Calvin well for jumping into French at school.

Come back to me if you need supplier information.

Laura