Menu

Books about Whales and Dolphins

Hi, my almost 8 year old son is really interested in whales and dolphins right now. Do you have any suggestions for story books or chapter books for him? I'm also open to DK or Usborne types of books, but am more interested in story books. Oh....DVD's, too.

Thanks!

We liked these:

David Attenborough Wildlife Specials. Dir. a a. Perf. David Attenborough. 1994. BBC America, 2008. DVD.

Whales: An Unforgettable Journey. Dir. David Clark. Perf. Patrick Stewart. Slingshot Entertainment, 2000. DVD.

Your DS has probably already seen Dolphin Tale, but if not, it is a really fun addition. There are several books out about Winter that tell the same story and we enjoyed them.

For the core of our unit we used the cetacean chapter in Apologia's Zoology 2, Swimming Creatures. It is very thorough.

Edited by LibertyH

DVD

Whale Rider

Books

9 True Dolphin Stories

Dolphin Adventure/Treasure/Freedom

Dolphin Diaries Series (think it's OOP)

Dolphins at Daybreak (or whatever; the Magic Tree House book)

Sorry totally can't think of any about whales...

NOT Island of the Blue Dolphins, which really doesn't have much to do with Dolphins. :tongue_smilie:

This book would probably be a better read aloud for you two, but have you seen Karen Pryor's Lads Before the Wind? It is an older book, but I think it has been reprinted. Your local library should definitely be able to round up a copy.

I used to work as a marine biologist specializing in whales, dolphins and manatees. This book was one of the best introductions into operant conditioning training I have ever read. It also goes into interesting detail about the animal husbandry requirements for captive marine mammals.

Interesting note, the training that works on one mammal will work on many others. So if you have any dogs or cats at home, your son could read up on the subject a bit and then try his hand at o/c training. These days it is often called clicker training, based on Karen's work.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Thank you SO much!!!

This book would probably be a better read aloud for you two, but have you seen Karen Pryor's Lads Before the Wind? It is an older book, but I think it has been reprinted. Your local library should definitely be able to round up a copy.

I used to work as a marine biologist specializing in whales, dolphins and manatees. This book was one of the best introductions into operant conditioning training I have ever read. It also goes into interesting detail about the animal husbandry requirements for captive marine mammals.

Interesting note, the training that works on one mammal will work on many others. So if you have any dogs or cats at home, your son could read up on the subject a bit and then try his hand at o/c training. These days it is often called clicker training, based on Karen's work.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.