Menu

Would someone please give me more info. about LCC

mama25angels

This is a bit too general. There are lots of us who use this method (though my oldest is only 4th grade) but I am not sure what you are looking for. The basic philosophy is: "much not many" - meaning it is more important to focus on a few really good books in an area and really study them than to try to read 20 books about a historical period just because they correlate with what you are studying. It considers the classical languages to be central to a classical education, not just a bonus if we get around to it. It streamlines subjects so fewer academic subjects are focused on (grammar is studied through Latin, mechanics of writing and spelling through copywork etc), leaving more time outside of school to pursue the interests of the specific child. It bases writing instruction on the classical method of the progymnasmata. It does not put history at the center of the curriculum. It considers study of the cultures of Greece and Rome to be extremely important, and puts forth as a goal for highschoolers to be able to read Homer and others in the original languages. This is just off the top of my head, correct me if I misrepresented anything Plaid Dad :) but that is my brief take on LCC.

My boys are young, so I can't really help with your older student questions. I do have some suggestions on how to learn more about LCC. You should check out the Latin-Centered forum. They have a secondary school forum there.

http://www.latincentered.com/

There is also a yahoo group for LCCers. The people on the list are amazing. I have learned a lot just reading through the old posts.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LatinClassicalEd/

One last place to check out is Memoria Press. They publish LCC and have a lot of articles on their website that will help you learn more about the LCC philosophy.

http://www.memoriapress.com/

I also have 4 boys and LCC has worked very well for us. HTH!

-AC

I'm trying for an LCC flavor for my 11th and 8th graders next year. I'm going total LCC with my 4th and 2nd graders. My 12th grader is doin' her own thang! Too old for me to boss around anymore! LOL!

For my 11th grader I went through the 2nd edition of LCC and basically filled in what my 11th grader would be studying according to the LCC chart for 11th grade. Sometimes it meshed, sometimes it didn't. My 8th grader is doing Kolbe Academy but we are doing science in the LCC style and taking an outside Latin class which will make Latin much more of a focus for us. (I'm taking the class too.)

For the 2nd and 4th graders I'm going to do the multistream history approach of 1st ed. of LCC rather than LCC 2nd ed. It is just a better fit for us.

Anything more specific you'd like to know?

P.S. Read Willa's blogs as Rose suggested. I'm a Willa groupie!

P.S. Read Willa's blogs as Rose suggested. I'm a Willa groupie!

Oh, let's print up T-shirts with our favorite Willa quotes. I want this one on mine: "I think I would be a better unschooler if I could just do things without planning, but in fact I have to think several thoughts for every one thing I actually put into action, so I thought I might as well try to do some of the thinking up front." It's so brilliant and so Winnie-the-Pooh.

Thanks Rosie and Faith (blushing). I think this will be my first post on here though I joined two or three weeks ago when Faith mentioned this board on the Catholic classical group. I am still getting used to the format, so I hope this works :)

I use LCC type principles in a sort of Ambleside/Mater Amabilis way, or perhaps it should be the other way around. Have never had a high schooler in our home who could read Virgil or Homer in the original, so perhaps I'm not really the ideal LCCer. Still, even the little Latin and Greek we've done has proved very valuable in all kinds of ways, and I do really like the Multum non Multa approach, especially since I have seven kids (only three still in the homeschool, though).

I'm looking forward to learning more about, and applying this approach, which I think I've already begun to implement a little without realizing it. (For example, whereas I used to feel like I had a "real" school day if we did history, now I'm asking if they've done Latin & math, or copywork/memory work for the little ones.)