Menu

Can I update you on my Couch to 5K and ask a weight lifting question?

I'm on week umm, I forget! We ran 20 minutes today without stopping, so we are getting close to the end. I'm running (really, really slowly) 3x a week and walking 2x week.

I'm using weights for my arms 2x week, but I'm wondering if I should be lifting with my legs too or is that too much? I'm really overweight (read 65 pounds to lose), and I don't want to push too much, but I really want to do all I can to get healthy again.

I'm also really stiff all day long, what's that about? Just being overweight? Not stretching enough (I usually don't stretch at all)? Something else?

Any other advice ladies & gents? Thanks!

Yes, you need to stretch, it is very important to combat stiffness. I actually use my legs more than my arms when lifting weights. I do squats and also I put my weights on my shoulders and step up and down on a 8 to 10 inch stool. I have been lifting weights and walking for 1 and 1/2 years. I am up to 15 aND 20 pound weights. I have lost 50 pounds since I started.

Kathy, just wanted to say that I started the couch to 5k last week and I'm impressed with how well you are doing. I'm already thinking that I won't be able to jog 3 minutes at a time next week and you just did 20! Way to go.:hurray:

As for the weights, I'm not an expert but I would say at this point doing your upper body is probably enough.

Try stretching more to help with the stiffness. I do taekwondo, so I stretch a lot anyway and it really helps when ever I get stiff. Try to do it before and after running. Actually, try to stretch everyday.

Keep it up. I hate running but keep hoping that I can't start to enjoy it with this program.

I would second the stretching. I'm a runner and pretty fit, and I REALLY need to stretch before and after runs. Sometimes my body doesn't feel like it needs to stretch right after a run, so I'll wait 10-15 minutes and then stretch. Also, stretching before bed time helps too, just keeping your body flexible and limber will help with the stiffness. Of course, whenever you put your body through drastic changes, it is going to be stiff, so you aren't experiencing anything that isn't normal.

As for lifting weights with your legs, yes, that will help you with running as it will get your legs more toned. And, the more muscle you build the more calories you are able to burn when you do work out. I would just start with something light at first, no need to do anything heavy and then build up as you go. Doing lunges while holding weights in your hand is a good one for legs. If you have any type of band, doing leg lifts (standing up, lifting leg to the side) with the band around your ankles is also a good one. Also, squats standing up. Act like you are going to sit down in a chair, but then right before you do, you lift up again.

I'm so proud of you for doing this! Keep up the good work! And, running 20 minutes is a GREAT feat in itself! You should be proud! :)

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say, "Well done!"

I started running about a month ago and I'm not sticking closely to the Couch to 5K program. I'm using it more as a general guide. I think you're doing great if you managed a 20min jog. Congratulations!