Menu

THINK Global School

Hi Lee!

My daughter just got back from Mexico last week! She's very strong in languages. She wants to do this!

Though she is the chronological age of a Freshman, she's a sophomore now and a straight A student. I see the site says Junior and Senior Years are closed already for 2012-13. My question is: Is there any chance of getting in as a Senior in 2013-14, or do those spots pretty much go to those who have been in as underclassmen?

Hi Tranquil,

I would definitely recommend that your daughter submit an application. As with all schools, there will be mild turnover between now and then. Spots will most likely open up. Our acceptance rate is going to be low due to the high number of applications and small amount of spots, but if your daughter is an ideal candidate, she will receive due attention.

This seems like a 'traveling boarding school', and that's not for my family, no matter the benefits of the global experience.

But if the question is whether this sort of global experience would create a very special breed of graduating student, I would have to say yes. The IB is a fantastic programme, but I believe it's the international context that makes it more than simply a superior academic programme. I found the Diploma students at dd's international IB school to be very mature and confident, and I put that down in large part to the fact that most of the children had done an extensive amount of international travel, and were exposed to, and comfortable with people from so many national backgrounds. What the THINK Global School seems to do would take that to a whole new level.

(I might be incorrect about my 'boarding school' assumption - the FAQs don't seem to be iPad compatible!)

Hi ND,

You are correct about the boarding assumption. It's definitely not for everyone, and we understand that :) A lot of parents can't fathom sending their children around the globe. It's a matter of opportunity cost, and we feel that our rewards are truly fantastic for both parent and child.

Here is one (of many) versions picked rather randomly:

Sounds strange to me because I have only heard my mother sing it GRIN. She learned it from her father, who loved spirituals and knew a lot of them.

There are other verses, one of which is "sometimes I feel like a feather in the wind".

Nan

Here is one (of many) versions picked rather randomly:
Sounds strange to me because I have only heard my mother sing it GRIN. She learned it from her father, who loved spirituals and knew a lot of them.

There are other verses, one of which is "sometimes I feel like a feather in the wind".

Nan

Thanks for sharing :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like an amazing school, and I get excited thinking about it, even though it wouldn't work for us (our youngest two are now a junior and senior in high school). However, I have to remind myself that half of the reason we have homeschooled is so we can be together as a family more, and so that we as their parents can have the greatest input in their lives -- not strangers. So, in the end, I don't think we personally would choose this approach.

However, we strongly agree with the global approach, and have tried to have that be a focus in our children's education and life experiences. I would say that we have raised them in a global environment, thinking of the world as their home (not just their town or even their state or country). We have been fortunate to have the opportunities to do so.

All that said, I still think it's fantastic that this school exists, and I hope it's a sign of things to come! I do think this broad, global approach on education is cutting edge and very exciting.

This sounds like an amazing school, and I get excited thinking about it, even though it wouldn't work for us (our youngest two are now a junior and senior in high school). However, I have to remind myself that half of the reason we have homeschooled is so we can be together as a family more, and so that we as their parents can have the greatest input in their lives -- not strangers. So, in the end, I don't think we personally would choose this approach.

However, we strongly agree with the global approach, and have tried to have that be a focus in our children's education and life experiences. I would say that we have raised them in a global environment, thinking of the world as their home (not just their town or even their state or country). We have been fortunate to have the opportunities to do so.

All that said, I still think it's fantastic that this school exists, and I hope it's a sign of things to come! I do think this broad, global approach on education is cutting edge and very exciting.

Thanks for the very kind words! It sounds like you have done a fantastic job parenting wise, and I hope the best for your children in their college experiences.

Thanks as well Amy and Nan!

• 3 months later...

Hi Lee,

Congratulations!!!

I was so set on a UWC for our kids (after both, myself and my brother, attended)...but am seriously considering THINK now...

We have another 2-3 years to consider, but you're certainly giving UWCs serious competition!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to add another quick update. We were recently approved by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges for their initial three year accreditation. We'll now start issuing WASC diplomas at the end of the 2013-2014 school year.

http://thinkglobalschool.org/think-global-school-announces-wasc-accredidation/

That is awesome! I run the WASC accreditation team for my school and We have been through the whole process more than once. I have also served on visiting teams for other schools so if I can help in any way just let me know. I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have on the topic. :D