Menu

x-post Nature Study Workshop ideas please

I will be presenting a number of nature study workshops at the Royal Fireworks Press conference in Valley Forge, PA in July and would like to be sure they reflect the interests of my fellow homeschoolers. I have four possible topics I have been considering. Whether you are thinking of coming to the conference or not, I would appreciate knowing which of the four hold the most interest to you. Also please tell me if there are other nature study topics that particularly interest you.

Here are the four possible topics:

Introduction to Nature Study

Nature Journals

What is It? Identifying Animals and Plants.

Pond Study

Something on the benefits/whys of nature study would be helpful, but also seeing examples of nature journals. I think a class for people who hate "nature" and aren't "outdoorsy" but want to do it with their kids, would be nice.

Something like,

"Mama Hates Bugs"--Nature Study for The Extremely Reluctant Explorer.

And just knowing HOW to do it--really basic, like step by step ideas. Not just "go for a walk, take along a kit, draw what you see in your journal," but jazzed up a bit, like, with a long list of where to go, and a visual of what a nature bag can contain (bring a real one!), and maybe directions that you can pass out on how to make one, and how to take good nature photos....And a list of nature poetry and quotes for Nature Study Copywork to go in the journal, and how to take a narration, and how to press flowers, and what pencils are really good, and...You could bring some real journals, bags, and do a powerpoint where you show pages from kids of various ages' books, and how they vary.

Hoo Boy. Good luck!:D