Menu

Math help... roughly 6th grade please...

dd is finishing up CLE 500's and should be done with it by the fall. as we get closer and closer to prealgebra, im having trouble, teaching, grading or even helping her when she has a question! i can probably go another year in cLE if i need to, but i need to start looking at a curriculum where i dont need to be good at math at all (lol and im NOT!!). we used to do teaching textbooks, she did like that, but we switched because of the cost.

can anyone recommend something where i dont even need to be asked a question?? it looks roughly like by the end of the year she could jump to teaching textbooks prealgebra from cle 500 (since i know thats a bit behind). she would technically be in 7th in the fall.

thanks so much for any ideas!! :grouphug:

It sounds like it's time to outsource math. :) I'd look for local coops or tutors. If you have a college nearby you could ask them for a few good students to ask. Maybe a relative or close friend of the family could take over math?

Another option is to get something for yourself to start working through to scratch that rust off. I try to work on Khan Academy "Practice" myself, at least a few times a week. It is free. There are videos to watch for concepts you don't understand, and you only have to get ten right in a row to pass each concept. It's a fast and easy way to keep my own math skills sharpened. (My teen and tween also use it as a fun supplement to their own math curricula.)

can anyone recommend something where i dont even need to be asked a question??

The only way to make sure you do not have to be asked any questions or have to explain anything is to outsource math.

Otherwise you need to work ahead and try to get up to speed so you can continue teaching her. But I consider it an illusion to hope for a math program where the student will never have any questions to ask.