Menu

Easiest to control video game system for special needs teen?

I'm looking at the Xbox w/ Kinect (how many Gb do we want?) and Wii U coming out next winter. What do you think. He has mr, autism and weak fine motor.

He does fairly well playing games like Lego series on his laptop, but we would like to have a system set up in his bonus room "apartment". Thanks for advice!

Edited by LNC

Wii's controller and board allow more gross motor movements. My son also played some programs on Wii that involved balance, such as leaning one way or the other. There are not these little buttons to grip, but a controller that moves to do various things. Have you seen any of them in person? Could he play at a friend's house?

My older son has CP and practically no use of his right hand. We got a Wii gaming system because it was recommended by many parents with children with disabilities. He has had NO trouble using the Wii remote, nunchucks, and the steering wheel. I will say that he has pretty good fine motor with his left hand.

You could probably go to somewhere like Best Buy and let him try some of the systems out to see which one works for him.

God Bless,

ELise in NC

Do you think if I bought an original Wii, the original games would stay in stock to collect after the WiiU comes out?

Even though the price is now great, I'm worried about buying an outdated system.

I would think the games would still be available for quite some time. Nintendo is pretty great about keeping games available even during & after transition times (imo). Not to mention there are stores like Gamestop who do business in used games. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding games.

We have both systems & both have their merits. The Wii has many more games available though.

HTH!

The Wii games will stay on the market. The WiiU will still be able to play the original Wii games. Looking at the controller for the WiiU it looks like it will use more fine motor control while playing the games than the original wii. If you go to a place like best buy or game stop most have a wii setup that you can try playing.