Menu

Math-It

We've used this for years. When my eldest, (now 18) was in the pre-algebra realm we found that she really got the basic concepts, but was not fast enough and didn't have the fluency we wanted. This worked very well. She was the fastest in her honors algebra class for her short visit to school. :glare:

The youngest liked math-it, too, as long as she didn't have to hold her breath and we watched sister pressure...

TFJ

I have been looking at Math-It. Has anyone used this? Can children at different levels all play at once?

I bought it used at a curriculum sale. We didn't use it much. We found it too repetitive and tedious. I think only one plays at a time. Have you ever tried something like addition/multiplication war? Where 2 (or more) people put down 2 cards at the same time and whoever says the answer first wins. Might be an idea with multiple kids.

Unless they have changed the voice.... um, well, neither of mine could stand his voice. I think it would have been great with a great voice!

:confused: As far as I know, Math-It is a board game.

The one I had had a cassette tapes you played to learn the drills (placing small colored paper on the answer boxes). His voice was so monotone. Both mine found it very boring. It also was very expensive. Here is an ad I found for it.

Basic Math-It

[MA-12100] $74.95 $65.95

Simple and ingenious techniques to computing math problems. There are no repetitions and boring multiplication tables, and memory facts are reduced to simple rules. This revolutionary new concept in learning math offers you the ability to easily unlock the secrets of math and use the shortcut skills for various math functions. The student learns these math skills by playing the Addit, Dubblit and Timzit games and is carefully guided through these games with the aid of step-by-step instruction materials and a cassettes tape. This program is great for children who learn visually and kinesthetically. A child is ready for this course when they can pass this test of concentration: simultaneously count from 20-0 while tying shoes with their eyes closed. For Kindergarten through Grade 8, this program includes: Addit, Dubblit, and Timzit games, CD, Math-It guide book, molded vinyl storage case, and instruction materials.

Thanks for the tape warning! I still have bad memories of those types of materials! The voices stay with you forever! I don't think we ever listened.

What we benefited from originally, I think, was the various strategies of how to remember the facts from one of the books. Since then, there have been a lot of other programs that teach these same tips. We got ours used for very little... which is what I would do if I were buying it. We have the advanced one and my eldest is still excellent at percentages and such.

There are probably more colorful and fun ways of doing this available after all these years.

My 11 y.o. is using flash card magic as a basic drill right now, when our trial runs out, we will keep sharp with other games. There are lots of fun freebies out there now!

TFJ

Thanks ladies. Especially for the tape warning. The place were I was looking didn't mention a tape :nopity:.

Sounds like it did help your dc with math. Maybe I'll add this to our "Summer" school ;) If it can help get those math facts down, it will be worth the price:glare:

Blessings,