Menu

dd wants to go back to gymnastics..help me decide...

SandraDumas

1. Same gym we used before- I liked it, the atmosphere was healthy and focused on the sport and the kids... They basically go round and round an obstacle course and now and then they try new equipment. Don't know if they have Saturday classes though. About $12/week- dd really wants to see her old teacher.

2. Rec Center- Not too many kids, not much equipment, but really cheap - $7/week...downside is classes stop in the summer. Taught by a teacher from a good local gym.

3. Biggest local gym- Very professional staff and huge equipment, but still a happy environment. Expensive, $15/week....they happen to be the same gym that sends their teachers to my rec center for $7/wk but again the rec center closes all summer and has very little equipment. And i knnow they have a spot available in their Saturday class.

What would you do?

Sandra, I started gymnastics at the age of 8 and 32 years later I am still involved in the sport. I was an elite gymnast myself. I owned my own gym for 15 years and I continue to coach & judge to this day. So, I've seen the sport from just about every angle possible. Based on the information you've provided and assuming this is for your 4 yo dd I would utilize the Rec Center.

It sounds like the rec center has good but limited equipment. That's all you need. All the extra "bells and whistles" equipment is NOT necessary -- especially for a 4 yo. Often larger gyms use this type of equipment to replace an instructor while gymnasts are waiting for their next turn.

What's important is that the mats they have are safe (not so worn down that they don't provide adequate protection for a fall); that the class size is small enough that your dd gets individual instruction so that she is not allowed to develop bad habits; that the instructor is positive and encouraging while teaching the beginning skills correctly.

At the age of 4, I would consider having the summer off a positive thing. It would give your dd the chance to try a different sport -- such as soccer or softball -- or take swim lessons. And in a few years if your dd chooses to pursue the sport of gymnastics more seriously THEN you can take her to the large, expensive gym. In the meantime, get the same instruction for half the price at your nearby rec center!!

Cheers!

I would first find out if the gym you used before has Saturday classes, if not having them would be a deal-breaker. There is a lot to be said about going back to someplace that you were satisfied with and that dd was happy and comfortable.

The $7/wk sounds great, but I would be nervous about consistency. Not too many kids could be a plus, but not too much equipment would limit what she would do and learn. Plus, summer classes seem important to you, so this might be a deciding factor.

Before paying $15/wk, I would definitely try to make option 1 work.

Of course, this is just my opinion. :) Yours and dd's are the ones that really matter. My dd almost 6 takes gymnastics at a local gym. We pay $40/mo. The facility is rather dingy and typical of an old warehouse (what the gym is housed in) but she loves it and the teachers are very thorough, yet fun. They also have a lot of equipment since they have a competing gymnastics team.

I started gymnastics at the age of 8 and 32 years later I am still involved in the sport. I was an elite gymnast myself. I owned my own gym for 15 years and I continue to coach & judge to this day

I was gym rat too. Every night for 10 years. I would love to be able to get back into somehow. I do cartwheels and handstands and the kids are in awe. You must have lots of fun!:)

I just want to know where you can get gymnastics that cheap LOL. I have two who are competitive and I swear we could live like kings if they would give it up. But the love it.....

I'd probably go where you were before if she loved it. It's a known entity and she is comfortable there. The quality of management and teachers in gymnastics varies greatly so I'd be inclinded to stay with what I know.

Tarheel Heather... once gymnastics gets into your blood it never really seems to leave does it?! I sold my gym when my youngest dd was a year old because I just didn't want to be away from home so much. Then, I spent a year just judging (which is a nice way to stay involved without such a huge time commitment). You might want to think about judging yourself if you want to get back into the sport --- as you know, competitions are on the week-ends and only during the competition season so you can early a little extra money and still be home in the evenings.

Heather in VA.... I feel for you! Gymnastics is such an expensive sport -- primarily because the equipment is so outrageously priced! Then you need a large facility with high ceilings so the rent is usually steep. Add in the cost of insurance and you have to run a very efficient program just to break even! If it makes you feel any better, ice skating and competitive cheer have surpassed gymnastics in cost, so I suppose it could be worse. :)

And Sandra... I understand that the larger, private gyms will tell you that their instruction, facility, program and such is the *best* around. They normally have banners & trophies that their competitive teams have won displayed proudly about the gym as proof that they provide a valuable product. But they are a business and like all businesses they must make a profit in order to survive. They absolutely would like to have your 4 yo taking classes in their facility because frankly, the class students are where they make most of their money. The amount of gym time taken up by team practices and the cost of coaches for the higher levels makes the profit margin for the team very slim. In the gymnastics industry, it's often said that the team success brings the customers in, while the class students pay the rent.

The fact that the instructors at the Rec Center also work at the private gym in your area was what made me advise you to head to the Rec Center for your dd. I'm currently doing the same thing myself. I used to coach USA optional levels 7 - 10 and now I teach pre-school and school-age classes 2 nights a week at a local Rec. Center here. I love coaching at this level. I'm able to walk in, teach the children, and walk out. If I coached at a private gym I would have to work with the team, which means a LOT more hours and travel on the week-ends.

I'm just glad to hear that your dd is enjoying gymnastics. It is a fabulous sport! Best of luck!!