Menu

Enns' "Evolution of Adam"

Read it. Loved it. Some things I agree with him on, some parts force me to think about my own beliefs and why I hold them, and some parts have me argueing with the book as if it's a person (Plato's books do that to me too...lol). All in all, it drives you to read the bible again more deeply and sends you searching for more knowledge about the bible writers and about biblical culture. Iron sharpens iron and, agree with him or not, you will learn and be forced to think critically which is good for all of us. Even those who think he is a blasphemer. If you can logically articulate exactly why he is a blasphemer then you still got something out of it and have grown in your own faith and intellectual development because of the work he did.

Read it. Loved it. Some things I agree with him on, some parts force me to think about my own beliefs and why I hold them, and some parts have me argueing with the book as if it's a person (Plato's books do that to me too...lol). All in all, it drives you to read the bible again more deeply and sends you searching for more knowledge about the bible writers and about biblical culture. Iron sharpens iron and, agree with him or not, you will learn and be forced to think critically which is good for all of us. Even those who think he is a blasphemer. If you can logically articulate exactly why he is a blasphemer then you still got something out of it and have grown in your own faith and intellectual development because of the work he did.

Great points, Tiffany. I find it more common for people to claim things like "blasphemy" when they haven't read the actual book at all.

Personally I think it boarders on blasphemy.

Care to elaborate with examples?

Thank you so much for your thoughts! So far I've read the introduction, ch. 1, and half of ch. 2. While a lot of what I'm reading I was aware of before, it's very interesting to have it synthesized and in one place with a thesis.

That is on our short list to read this year with oldest DS (maybe oldest three...we're getting a number of books on audio to listen to during lunch time). We've been having regular discussions of what the Bible says and what it doesn't...what people assume is meant.