Menu

Is it possible to get someone to seek treatment for anxiety?

I don't think it is, but would like to hear if anyone here has been successful. My relationship with my mom has always been rocky. It is better now, but then we live a couple thousand miles apart from each other, and I've set strict boundaries.

I came to realize that most of her issues in my childhood came from severe anxiety. It runs in our family. All her siblings have it. My grandfather and most of his siblings had it.

She likes to poke fun at her sibs anxiety issues, and I've brought up that she has it as well. She gets very angry. She's not a person that can handle truths, although she likes to rant about politics frequently even though we are on the opposite sides of the political spectrum.

I know she has severe anxiety. She is always stressed, has always been stressed. She's never been very happy. My nephew worries she may have a heart attack from it.

She's 62. I feel bad for her. Is there any way I or anyone else can encourage her to seek treatment?

:grouphug: That's tough to watch someone like that. In my experience, no you can't make them get treatment, but you could gently let her know that there are medications that could help her to feel less anxious and more in control of her circumstances. That is if she recognizes that she is anxious. In my family members, no one seems to be aware that this is an issue.

Hopefully someone here has some good ideas as to how to encourage your mom to consider talking to the doctor about that. If high blood pressure is an issue, this may be a place to research if anti anxiety meds would be helpful.

When my brother and I needed a member of our family to seek mental health treatment, we went together with this person to the family doctor and expressed our concerns. If you know her doctor, you might be able to suggest it to him.

AFAIK anxiety doesn't lead to heart attacks.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I could've written your post. My mother's entire family is stricken with anxiety, depression, bipolar and other mental disorders and she flat-out refuses treatment---despite the fact that all three of her kids are on antidepressants and tell her what a world of good they do.

Some people just don't want help. It's sad, but I don't think they believe there can be anything better.