Menu

Bragging on my 5 yr old (CC)

(and he just turned 5 this month)

Each weekend, J gets an allowance from us. It was a dollar when he was 4, now that he is 5, we've upped it to $1.20. DH gives it to him in dimes to teach about tithing. J sets aside a tithe for church, a few for savings, and then some for spending. He wanted to also set aside some for giving to others. Each weekend he "spends" nearly 100% of his allowance between church and giving to others, saving only 1 or 2 dimes for himself. That in itself is a lesson for me. :)

He's saved $15 in his giving to others envelope. (we cash out the dimes for dollars.) We are matching it, so he has $30. We've been talking about what giving to others looks like and what options are available. We discussed local giving or global giving, etc. After lots of exploring options and discussion with him (and he also prayed and asked God what to do with his money too), he decided to give to Charity: Water. (Which is one of my favorite organizations, but I tried very hard to NOT sway him.) He decided to give money to African countries first, then debated between food (we looked at World Vision farm animals), water, or mosquito nets. We talked about why each was important. Water it is.

So, I posted on FB about how proud I was of him...and some close family/friends are matching his donation. We have over $100 going to Charity: Water to provide safe drinking water to communities. Not only will the clean water help prevent diseases, but it means that women/children can support their family or go to school instead of walking for water.

All because of a small boy with a huge heart. When all the money comes in, I am getting it in $1 bills from the bank to show him what that much looks like, from $15 to over $100.

I am SO PROUD. God has certainly given him a heart of generosity.

(and, just to clarify: I am not asking for donations or anything here. Not at all. Just bragging.)