Menu

Ack! My new laser printer reeks when printing!

LAinVA

We finally printed on the new printer last night and the smell was horrid! It was so strong my dh got a headache and it smelled up the whole downstairs. We even had to open the windows as the smell was creeping upstairs too. I know it is the toner; but does the smell go away after printing awhile or does it always smell like this? It's a B&W Brother hl 2280dw. I'm so bummed!

I don't even know what type of printer I have. It was a hand-me down and the ink is dirt cheap at Amazon, but it stinks and is growing stinkier as the machine is breaking down and dying. Sorry, I'm not being helpful, but just sharing in your misery.

My brother first filled a room with toner smell when it first started but it smelled just like the pages do when they are first printed and when away quickly.

I'm with boscopup and think there may be some plastic inside that wasn't removed.

I checked for any plastic and didn't find any. I took out the cartridge and sniffed it and it is the same smell when printing except REALLY strong. I don't smell it when it is just sitting there. I did a search and found out that they emit strong VOC's from petroleum and others had the same issues. Since I am hsing dd due to her chemical sensitivities (especially petroleum that is in food dyes and fragrances), it is probably not going to work for us. I definitely don't want to be a prisoner in my own home.

The guy at Brother would NOT answers my ? about the smell. He asked me tons of questions during which I repeatedly said I just wanted to know if the toner smell lessens after awhile. He then asked "Has the side of your printer melted off?". :001_huh: I gave up at that point.

I did find a heavy duty inkjet that gets 2400 black copies and 1200 color copies and the replacements are only $75 for all 4 colors. It had great reviews of not being an "ink hog". I guess I'll have to give this one a try. I'm looking on the bright side of being able to have color if I want too.