Menu

How to teach order number biggest least

Try the greedy crocodile trick. If I am a greedy crocodile, would I rather have 12 monkeys to eat or 8 monkeys to eat? If she can understand this, then she can identify 12 as the greatest number.

In a list of numbers, I also use the Goldilocks trick. The greatest number belongs to Daddy bear, the middle sized number to Mommy bear, and the least number to Baby bear.

As already mentioned, you also need a strong background in place value to move further with this concept.

When I taught ds I used MUS blocks. We don't use MUS curriculum just the blocks. I first taught him about 10's and 1's with the blocks as we learned to count by 10's and 1's then we started building numbers. Then, I would show him place value by looking at the manipulatives. It worked awesome! He still can not grasp the number 12 for some reason and still calls it 20 but when I ask him how many 10's and 1's the number has he can figure out the number is 12. When working with greater than, less than- if he gets stuck I first ask him what is greater, 10's or 1's. He tells me 10's so we first look at that. If they are they the same then I ask him if the 10's are the same what other number can we look at to figure out what number is bigger. He says ones- so we look. Then after he figures out the bigger number we build it with MUS blocks to check our answer. I need to get another set of blocks. I love them and see myself using them with him for a LONG time!!