Menu

Don't know what to do for 4th grade literature???

arcara

My dd will be in 4th grade next year, and this will be our 1st year using a classical approach. We will be doing SOTW 1, but I don't know what to do for literature. The 1st grade recommendations that go with this would be too easy for her, but I'm not sure if the 5th grade recommendations will be too difficult. I guess I can try, but I'll need a back-up plan if it doesn't go well. Should I not worry so much about trying to match Ancient lit with Ancient history? If so, what would be some good recommendations for this grade?

Thanks!

If you do, you will probably find LOADS of books on mythology & fables. I know that we ended up using lots of library books - even picture books - rather than the "Tales from (insert country)" books. (We did a mix and match of the 1st grade and 5th grade lists - mostly going by topic rather than specific book titles.)

We also bought D'Aulaire for Greek myths, Black Ships Before Troy, In Search of a Homeland, and Odysseus by Geraldine MCcaughrean (this was a read-aloud).

There are several Ancient-related stories and such in The Book of Virtues (Aristotle; Aesop - but you could probably find illustrated library books for Aesop; The Athenian Oath; As Rich as Croesus; Bulfinch - and other myths; Cicero; Cincinnatus; Plato; selections from Esther, Exodus and Ezra; I'm sure there are other). These are short and readable, and give you something to do for the harder-to-find people.

There are also book lists in the SOTW-Activity Guide, with suggested grade levels. But, if your library *is* good, you probably won't need the list in the AG. If your library isn't good, that may give you a good list of things to buy - but I would try to buy used.

I wouldn't worry about making *all* of the reading related to history - you could just use whatever your library happens to have, and not worry about the rest. Just fill in the schedule with books from other reading lists (like the 1,000 Good Books List, or SL Catalogue, for example) and have fun!

ETA: Actually, we did lots of Read-alouds because my dc had just come from public school, and I didn't want to overwhelm them. This was probably my favorite part! You could have her read the 1st grade list, and then use the 5th grade list as Read-alouds.

Best wishes!

Rhonda

My dd will be in 4th grade next year, and this will be our 1st year using a classical approach. We will be doing SOTW 1, but I don't know what to do for literature. The 1st grade recommendations that go with this would be too easy for her, but I'm not sure if the 5th grade recommendations will be too difficult. I guess I can try, but I'll need a back-up plan if it doesn't go well. Should I not worry so much about trying to match Ancient lit with Ancient history? If so, what would be some good recommendations for this grade?

Thanks!

I definitely agree with what everyone has said. If you have the SOTW I activity guide, I would take it to the library and look up all the books that are recommended and see what you think. Also, some of the 5th grade recs would probably work too. Again, look them over at your library to see if she can handle it or not. Also, if you want to compare, go to the Tapestry of Grace website, to their bookstore, and look at their books they have recommended for Upper Grammar, year 1. I really enjoy having a mix of challenging reads with picture books/easier reads. My dd will be in 5th next year and she still loves to look (and now read on her own) picture books that are beautifully illustrated. Our library has some really pretty ones. I also second Book of Greek Myths for D'Aulaire. :)

ETA: Also, check out the Famous Men series from Memoria Press. Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Greece would work for Ancients. These would be more biography than non-fiction literature.

If I were you, I would try to find other good quality literature for her in addition to the ancient lit. books. There's so much out there that's worth reading. The VP catalog has good selections for fourth grade. Look in the third grade selections also. I think their books are quite advanced for the grade levels listed.