Menu

She's finally reading without me begging!!

I just have to share my excitement!!! My oldest turned 9 a couple months ago and while she is a very good reader she has never actually enjoyed reading. She always would do what was required of her (comprehension, reading out loud to work on fluency, her set time for silent reading)... but it's been a HUGE struggle! Over the years I have purchased TONS of books based on her many interests trying to spark that love for reading... nothing worked. I honestly thought she would just never enjoy reading.

A month ago I decided to pick up a couple joke books for her (which I should have done years ago... we tell jokes but I had never thought of getting an actual joke book :001_huh:). The idea was to just get her to pick up a book... I didn't care how much she read... I just wanted her to pick up a book ON HER OWN and read it!! That actually worked. Of course, she wasn't reading much... but she would get her books out all the time and read and tell us jokes (and call relatives to tell them jokes... lol)!

Two weeks ago we were in Blockbuster and she saw the American Girl Chrissa movie. She has the doll, she has watched the other American Girl movies and she REALLY wanted to see this one. I told her that I wanted her to read the book first. She wasn't to thrilled with this idea but she found the book and she started reading. She finished the book (it took a few days) so we rented the movie. While watching the movie she kept saying, "that's not what happens..."! At the end of the movie she said, "well... the book was much better".

Now this last week... she's reading chapter book after chapter book after chapter book! And she CAN'T put them down! It's CRAZY and I'm LOVING it!!!! I do not require any type of comprehension or narration, however, after every funny or exciting or sad or WHATEVER moment in the book she is coming to ME and telling me what is going on. At the end of the books she is wanting me to sit down and tell me what happened. Oh my goodness... it's like it all just clicked and now she's HOOKED!!! I am SO proud of her!!! Tonight she only had one chapter left in the book she was reading but it was time for bed. She BEGGED me to let her read the last chapter before going to bed... who am I to say no to that :lol: So she finished her book and then got out the book she wants to start tomorrow.

Anyways, I just had to share my excitement!!! :D